• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What could be causing high load temps at stock speeds???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goronmon

Registered
Alright, I finally figured out why my system was always failing Prime95 after a few hours, it was the temps getting too high. I found it out by opening both windows in the computer room, where the below freezing air outside could really do its stuff, haha...

Anyways, before opening the windows I was getting load temps at around 53c for the CPU, while after opening the windows it dropped down to 47c. Now when I took off the side panels and front panel to my case, the temps dropped to about 43c-44c.

Now, what could be causing my load temps to be so high? I have a stock heatsink and fan, but AS5 between them instead of pad. My case as 2 80mm fans in the front and one in the back. I keep thinking I might have applied the AS5 wrong or something, but since I didn't have to apply it to the die itself, I figured it would be hard to screw it up.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to keep my computer room at close to freezing temps so that I don't have stability issues at stock speeds :(

Valk

If you get that much of a temp change by taking off your panels, Im going to go with a serious airflow problem. if your case doesnt move enough air cleanly in and out, it will build up. your cpu will be recyling hot used air to cool your chip and get hotter.
I would take a look at your case fans. whether they are blowing decent air. cheak that they are not obstructed by anything. such as, ide cables getting in the way or what not. the air does like the smoothest path possible from intake to exaust.
but yea. if thats the kind of difference you get by removing sides. alomst 10º, you seriously need to look at your case cooling.
How powerful are your case fans? you might have too much air going in vs whats coming out. power supply fans dont move enough air to really be seen as serious exaust.
you want even amounts of air going in as is coming out.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
I have to agree with Valk.You did the test yourself and saw the results.Your air in the case is to hot,usually due to bad flow and or restrictions.Have you removed the fan grids yet,These are the metal grids infront of or behind your fans.They restrict close to 50% of your air potential.Removing the grids also cuts down on fan noise,as the fan doesn't have to try to overcome the restrictions.Do you have a way to measure your case temps? I've included a link to my case mod thread,it may give you some ideas!
If you plan to OC in the future might I suggest the SP-94 HS by Thermalright.The stock HS's blow IMHO.
THE FANMAN:cool:

MOD LINK

Last edited:

clocker2

Gee Goronmon, while 53c is high, I shouldn't think that it's high enough to cause errors.
Anyway, your test with the sidepanels clearly demonstrates that a upgrade is in order for your cooling solution.
I would suspect that your HS/TIM application is fine, it's your fan arrangement that needs some work.
Arch's link should give you some ideas of the direction you want to take.

OP
Goronmon

Goronmon

Registered
Well, considering that those are temps in Windows, and the temps I get in BIOS seem to be 6c-7c higher, I'm thinking they might actually be closer to 60c...

And well, about the case...in the front there isn't really a fan grill, its more like 2 seperate metal pieces with a bunch of holes cut in it. There is the piece that comes off in the front with holes in it...then the piece connected to the case itself that has holes in it...hmm...maybe I'll get a picture of it...

Still, its kinda ****ing me off that I have to go through all this just to get the thing stable without any overclocking at all...heck, I started putting it together over a month ago and I still haven't gotten to use it yet...

OP
Goronmon

Goronmon

Registered
Alright, I got a couple pics of what I am dealing with in the front, let's see if this works...

case01.jpg

case02.jpg

OP
Goronmon

Goronmon

Registered
Well, I've never done any case modding before, so I am not exactly sure what the heck to do or what to use to do it...

k3nshin

Goronmon said:
Alright, I finally figured out why my system was always failing Prime95 after a few hours, it was the temps getting too high. I found it out by opening both windows in the computer room, where the below freezing air outside could really do its stuff, haha...

Anyways, before opening the windows I was getting load temps at around 53c for the CPU, while after opening the windows it dropped down to 47c. Now when I took off the side panels and front panel to my case, the temps dropped to about 43c-44c.

Now, what could be causing my load temps to be so high? I have a stock heatsink and fan, but AS5 between them instead of pad. My case as 2 80mm fans in the front and one in the back. I keep thinking I might have applied the AS5 wrong or something, but since I didn't have to apply it to the die itself, I figured it would be hard to screw it up.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to keep my computer room at close to freezing temps so that I don't have stability issues at stock speeds :(

What do you meen by you didn't have to apply the as5 to the die itself?

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Ask and you shall receive.Heres a link to a case mod for cooling ones rig.Its full of ideas and ways to do the mods.If you have any Q's just post it on the thread and you'll get an answer soon.Be warned that with no filters you will need to clean your rig and fan blades every 2 weeks or so. THE FANMAN:cool:

MOD LINK

OP
Goronmon

Goronmon

Registered
What do you meen by you didn't have to apply the as5 to the die itself?

Well, on the newer P4's the die itself isn't exposed, its like a big metal cover that is the size of the entire chip itself...

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
That is refered to as the Intergrated Heat Spreader..IHS..
Some ppl take it off.Most ppl apply thier TIM to it.Thermal Interface Material.The AMD processor is different than the Intel, even on the instructions at the Arctic Silver website.Did you check out the link yet? THE FANMAN:cool:

OP
Goronmon

Goronmon

Registered
To be honest, I'm not really ready to go all out and start cutting away my case until I am absolutely sure its going to fix my problem...

I mean, even with my case opened up, there is a 20c difference between idle temps and load temps, according to the Asus utility...

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
I'm sorry.I just thought it might give you some insight on future issues in your cooling scheme.Thats why we are doing it so you dont have to unless you feel confident that a mod will help.You don't have to cut to mod. Placement of fans,cleaning up wiring and cables are all a part of getting the best air flow.It is to plant the seed.THE FANMAN:cool:

OP
Goronmon

Goronmon

Registered
Oh, I appreciate the help, its just frustrating as hell, especially since it still looks like Prime95 gets errors, even when Asus' temps are down to 47c...which really makes no sense at all to me...

I mean, I have Prime95 running on this Dell laptop right now and it seems to be having no problems at all, even though its hot as heck...

TheWesson

Yah.

So I would predict with good case ventilation you'd see about a 4C drop in CPU load temp.

But why the crashes? 50C or 55C load isn't crashing temp for a p4. These are reasonable temps for a stock cooling setup.

We know the temp readings often lie. But stock cooling and an ill ventilated case should be "par for the course" for a CPU @ stock speeds, and it shouldn't be crashing. You are doing somewhat "better than stock" in both regards, so you definitely shouldn't be crashing.

You might want to broaden your search for causes. Is the voltage OK? software up to date? memory timing correct? etc.

Check everything, change everything in the BIOS to "most stable" or most lenient setting ... swap out memory ... I don't think it's really the temps.

Sounds like maybe some weak component getting failure-prone when things get warmer in your case.

the wesson

OP
Goronmon

Goronmon

Registered
Thats what I think as well, buit I just can't seem to find what it could be, I am already on my second motherboard and third set of RAM...

I don't think its the RAM since I ran Memtest86 overnight and it had no errors through 63 cycles...of course, that was after I moved the memory from slots 1 and 3 to 2 and 4, since 1 and 3 were giving me tons of errors...

That kind of makes me think it might be the mobo itself, but I am really just not sure at all...