• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What could be limiting my 12700K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I post the B660-G at 6200mhz, IF (huge if) it posts to bios, it gets all scrambled. Different languages all over the place and really unstable even. It'll lock up before too long. You might have seen that post at TPU about something similar, I'd be willing to bet he pushed the memory hard on his board to produce the effect. I said nothing to call him out as he stated it was from a bios update, I've not seen this on any of the LGA 1700 boards that I've flashed thus far.... I'd hate to be the guy to call "fake news" when we probably won't read about a bios update scrambling the languages anywhere else.
Hello ShrimpBrime
I know you were mainly replying to EarthDog, but I'm trying to work out if your post relates to my situation at all - forgive me if I'm being dense.

Hello ShrimpBrime
I know you were mainly replying to EarthDog, but I'm trying to work out if your post relates to my situation at all - forgive me if I'm being dense.
It would apply if you did all the testing. So, different bios revisions accompanied by different memory/cpu settings.

It's not uncommon to test different bios for stability vs overclocking purposes. And also watching for later released bios versions to test with.

Why are you spending all your times and effort trying to find why your 12700k not doing 5ghz at stock. Week after week and you are still chasing the issue. If you care about having the 5ghz and wanting to see it. Wouldn't be better to do it by overclock and call it for the day. Just a thought.

Why are you spending all your times and effort trying to find why your 12700k not doing 5ghz at stock. Week after week and you are still chasing the issue. If you care about having the 5ghz and wanting to see it. Wouldn't be better to do it by overclock and call it for the day. Just a thought.
Hehe! I understand what you're saying!
I'm just being sillily tenacious!

I don't really care about hitting 5Ghz, I'm more concerned about the possibility that my system might not performing quite as well as it should - as well as it was just a few weeks ago.
I recently heard about others with similar issues discovering that it might be down to microcode revisions after version 15. Anyone else noticed unwanted developments after microcode 15?

I'll probably continue to try to get to the bottom of it.
Sillily tenacious as I said! But it's really only been just over a week. And I'm sure gently persistent obsessiveness is hardly out of place on an overclockers forum! ;)

But I promise it's not taking all my time - I'm trying to limit it to just 18 hours a day! The rest of the time I'm healthily sleeping and eating quiche. :)

Could it be that your system detected a fault at 5GHz so it went a notch down to 4.98 and didn't experience it?

I would go with the all core clock to 5GHz like mentioned earlier. Remember, this is an overclocking site, don't settle for stock speeds ;)

Could it be that your system detected a fault at 5GHz so it went a notch down to 4.98 and didn't experience it?

I would go with the all core clock to 5GHz like mentioned earlier. Remember, this is an overclocking site, don't settle for stock speeds ;)
Thanks Stompah

As a matter of interest what kind of faults could cause this kind of thing?

Nothing? Lol

A small variance is normal and due to Spread Spectrum. In your case, that can't be it as you're hundreds of mhz slower, not low single digits (it adjust bclock slightly).

Last edited:
Nothing? Lol

A variance small is normal and due to Spread Spectrum. In your case, that can't be it as you're hundreds of mhz slower, not low single digits (it adjust bclock slightly).
Thanks EarthDog

Any other ideas as what could be causing it then?
What are your thoughts about some people noticing this kind of behaviour only with microcodes later than 15?
Some folk have, I gather, been taking a recent bios and then somehow injecting an earlier microcode into it. That's something I've never done.

No... not aware of any kind of 'fault' that would behave in like that.

Any microde update across all the boards I've reviewed didn't change the peak boost clock. Through 2 12900k, dozens of motherboards and countless bios updates, they both still peak at 5.2 ghz.

Back