• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What could be the cause of these artifacts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vizeef

My screen is pitch black with these 2 horizontal blocks in the middle. This happens with the newest drivers. With the older drivers the pc just reboots before entering windows. What could be causing this? drivers? vram? vrm? power? Any idea? Is there anything that I can do or is it time to bin the card?

artifacts.jpg.b9f9e03a9cc7d2d69d4e5371d8db3805.jpg

I would check all the connections in the video pathway. The cables at the card, the cables at the monitor, the power at the card and then pull the card from the motherboard and reseat ( do this several times, as it can clean contacts)

Mine was ultra similar with artifacts. Maybe vram is faling.
I baked mine in the oven and it fixed the issue.

it could well be a failing card, but no reason not to check simple things before we resort to the "grill". But.... good point Taco

I would check all the connections in the video pathway. The cables at the card, the cables at the monitor, the power at the card and then pull the card from the motherboard and reseat ( do this several times, as it can clean contacts)
This. If not, then likely the memory is likely going bad.

What's the success rate of grilling the card? I don't have an oven for this and I don't want to buy an oven just to bake one card :) I've also read online that grilled cards might only work for a few months before failing again. I also don't have any instruments for reballing or for replacing chips... maybe it's just one bad chip but I'm not able to solder a new one.

What's the success rate of grilling the card? I don't have an oven for this and I don't want to buy an oven just to bake one card :) I've also read online that grilled cards might only work for a few months before failing again. I also don't have any instruments for reballing or for replacing chips... maybe it's just one bad chip but I'm not able to solder a new one.
Succes rate? You've got a card that doesn't work...what is there to lose at this point?

But if you dont have an oven in the first place....

Oven is usually the worst case last resort type stuff and you are correct, sometimes it doesn't last. And don't grill a card if you decide!! Toaster oven or conventional oven, but it might smell like Asian cookies afterwards. Probably bad for your health too. (I used my food toaster oven though and taco is still very nocturnal)

Back