• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Could be Wrong? Computer Slows down for no reason.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamo

Anyways, I'll be on my computer and everything will be all nice and good, for the most part atleast. I'm playing games, they're running smooth. Ok, then i stop, get off and then i come back. This could range anywhere from a minute to 5 minutes. I don't even think that's really relevent. Anyway, i start the game back again, and everything starts going really slow. I mean, my FPS drop by about half. My 3Dmark score cuts by about half. I thought It might be something video card related, but I also notice that the game doesn't load as fast, and the computer just seems to go slower. The first time I noticed this happen, my room was feeling a little warm. I don't know to attribute it to that though, I turned on the air conditioning and was still getting the problem. Not to rule out heat though. I haven't done any serious tests in that area yet. Anyway, my CPU temps were about 45-47 C so that's not all the bad. Also, i believe my system temps were right around where they should be. I just have no clue why my computer would start going all slow for no reason. It never happens right after I start up my computer, usually could be like 30 minutes later, somewhere around there maybe longer or shorter. Also, I shut off my computer for about 15, 30 minutes, turned it back on and then the problem went away. I don't get it every single time, but sometimes it happens. Any ideas? Thanks all help is much appreciated.
----------------

EPOX 8RDA- +
ASUS V9820 Ti4200 128mb 8x
Twinmos pc3200 @ 166mhz(333) 256mb x 2 DDR Ram
Athlon Thoroughbred B 2100+ at 333 fsb x 12= 2400+ no raise voltage
SLK-900 Heatsink -smart fan 2
Western Digital 80gb 8mb cache
Antec 480True Power
-and that's about it

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
go to lavasoft and download ad aware. The most simple problem that I can think of is you have some adware on your computer that likes to run distributed computing when you are away.

Also, get a virus scanner. Someone may be trying to remotely access your computer.

And last of all, do some nice defragging of your hard drive.

If none of those work, reformat. If that doesn't work, you have a hardware problem or a cooling problem.

OP
jamo

jamo

my computer doesn't have a lot of other programs running on it. I can't really download any, because I don't even have the internet on it yet. It's possible it could be some program causing the problem. Seems more like a hardware thing though. Just what hardware thing, now that may be the question.

OP
jamo

jamo

Actually, right now I don't even have the side on my case. This hasn't fixed the problem. I also was getting the problem with the side on my case, with the two fans on the side of my case. I would think the airflow is pretty good.

BUBBLE

Even though your machine is having addtional fans is it doing a good air ventaltion? one rule is having a good air ventaltion method so check that aslo. What is your o/s? check your background services also. mabye you can identify some unsual programs in there. And one thing is your memory mabye they having a memory leakge in ther leading to a memory share vilation. Have a good mem test program, you can find lot in the internet. Hope you can a have a good luck with these thoughts. :mad:

OP
jamo

jamo

could it be my video card heating up a little to much. Like maybe it didn't come with a very good heatsink or fan.

Amorphus

ah, you're using an 8rda+. that means your 47C CPU temp translates into ~60C.

dum da da dumm.... insocket thermistors rule, dont they?

EarthShogun

Registered
Wires could be a air blocking problem. If you wire are hanging in the middle of you case try taping them to the side of the case so air can flow in the middle of you case. I had to do that to my PC the wires where a electrictions nightmare. So I did some wire moving.

djs488

Krusty said:
go to lavasoft and download ad aware. The most simple problem that I can think of is you have some adware on your computer that likes to run distributed computing when you are away.

I decided ADAware might be for me too, so i downloaded it cuz i know i have tons of programs iv never heard of running when i press ctr alt delete. but i downloaded it an when i click on it to start it, it says theres an error and it goes bazonks and i have to restart my comp. wtf?

OP
jamo

jamo

What do you mean my 47 degrees translates into 60 degrees? That makes no sense. There should be no reason why my cpu is that hot, especially with one of the best heatsinks on the market and a fan that blows fast. If that is the case, there's definately something wrong.

aftermath

my epox board used to claim to be runing at 35*c load but i very much doubt it was. what is the heat sink do u have a shim? if its a bolt on make sure that the legs arn't on any components and that they are on the bord corectly.
otherwise id say run a virus scaner.

in socket thermisters are inacuratly measuring the air behind the cpu. on-die are a bit more acurate and measure the cpu temperature much closer to the heat sorce.

OP
jamo

jamo

I have the SLK-900, and yes, you have to screw it in. It also has some metal plate that you screw it into, so maybe that's the shim.

Zoilo

Once Bitten, Twice Shy
How did you apply thermal grease? Is there any way that the SLK-900 could've shifted while you were mounting it? There may be something keeping your HS from sitting properly on the CPU. You can try to take off your HS and reapply thermal grease and them put it back on.

OP
jamo

jamo

I'm starting to think It might have something to do with my processor getting to hot. I was getting the problem, and then i turned my fan on to full blast, and a couple minutes later it went away. However, not all the tests are matching up. Like, I turned my fan speed down pretty low, actually hoping to get the problem, and turned off the air conditioning, and didn't get the problem. It said my cpu was around 47C then, so I'm still confused. 47 is about the hottest it gets. If it goes up to 50, bios is suppose to give me some warning, and I haven't gotten one yet. Although, I dont have the little speaker plugged into the motherboard, so maybe the warning is a beep that comes out of that. Don't know. Thanks.

OP
jamo

jamo

My friend put on the heatsink and the thermal grease. He's done it a few times before, so i trust that he did a good job. You never really know though. Maybe it shifted or something.

OP
jamo

jamo

After a number of tests, this is the heat. This problem will occur at anywhere between 46-49C processor heat, and i slowed down my fan to allow it to heat up a little. I then started a game, and it was going good, then i started getting the problem. Well i got out of the game i was up there at about 49. I turned my fan on full blast and got my processor down to about 45, the problem went away. Now, I don't believe this problem should be happening at that temp, that isn't THAT high. So if it is happening at that temp, that prolly means some really weird thing is wrong with my processor. Now, if the readout is wrong, and it's actually somewhere around 60c, that could either indicate that my processor is getting way to hot for no reason, therefore indicating another weird processor problem, or the heatsink isn't on right. What would you consider being more likely? I'm sure you'll say the heatsink is not on right. But what are they chances that either the processor is experiencing a huge slowdown at about 48c, or that the readout is wrong and the processor is actually getting to about 60c giving good reason for this problem to occur, but not giving reason why the processor is getting that hot in the first place? What is the probability of these final 2 scenarios? Thanks a lot for the help. Why can't everything just be simple? Ahh, the heat.