• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what CPU is on the horizon for X299 chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I've been hibernating for the last year. I'm trying to get up to speed regarding upgrade path (if any) for my Asus TUF X299 Mark 2. I still love my current setup, but I got a hankering to do a 10nm CPU upgrade. Were the rumors of a 10nm Xtreme Edition that would drop into a socket LGA2066 by the latter half of 2019 just rumors?

[EDIT #1] I'm confused, is Ice Lake a rebadged Cannon Lake? If not, what happened to Cannon Lake?

[EDIT #2] I'm starting to see talk of a X399 chipset. That would probably mean the death of the X299, right?

[EDIT #3] So, looks like Intel pushed Ice Lake back to the holidays 2019 and that's only for the mobile CPUs. So, no chance of HEDT 10nm until early 2020 at the soonest, huh?

Last edited:
9 series is out, but offers a bit more efficiency and more cores and threads.

Outside of that, I'd have to image the next gen HEDT CPU wont be on x299...its been around for what feels like forever now (for intel).

I'm not aware of the rumours, but thinking about it, X299 has had two CPU series (even if they aren't that different) so it would be time for something different next. We could say similar for consumer lines too, given 300 series chipsets have had 2 series also. Back to HEDT, that usually follows the similar server CPUs and at best I don't think we'll get much before the end of the year, or early next year. If they get their 10nm together with next gen architecture it could get interesting, but consumer would be first and I'm not even 100% confident we'd see desktop parts until end of year at best. Intel is a strange beast at the moment, reacting badly to AMD's cores everywhere approach and it is making them more unpredictable. Which now I look at OP again is me kinda agreeing with it...

I remember hearing something about them having two chipsets for HEDT as well...Z399 and X599. I heard 'lower' core count chips there and HCC on X599. The 'z' prefix is to not confuse with AMD x399.

Last edited:
Yep, it's looking more and more like 10nm will be another year down the road and it'll mean a new chipset. So be it, if I have to wait another year for the CPU, I'll be ready for another motherboard anyway.

Personally, I wait on what AMD will show in next months. Intel is releasing really expensive chips ( considering higher X series or enthusiast Xeon chips ) which are on the edge of stability using let's say standard cooling. It looks like they are trying hard to look good on the market and it's getting harder with each new AMD series.
I'm not on any side. Or maybe I'm on users side. If AMD will release 4.5GHz+ 32+ core chip then Intel will have a hard time to match it in price/performance.

That is great advice. Zen 2 and the way cores/threads are falling to the mainstream, it can be a viable option in the 'HCC' space.

Back