• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What CPU on sale today is the Xeon X5690 @ 4.10Ghz equivalent to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackhulk

Registered
Hello

I recently upgraded from i7 920 to Xeon X5690 OC to 4.10Ghz giving my EX58 system one last hurrah before a complete replacement. Just wondering what CPU on sale today is the Xeon X5690 running at 4.10Ghz equivalent to?

Thank you

Zerileous

The more important question is what CPU will perform adequately for the tasks at hand. Off hand maybe the Ryzen 1600 has similar clocks and maybe similar IPC, and also 6c12t, but that really is nothing more than a hunch.

OP
J

jackhulk

Registered
Yeah that's true and I'm referring to terms of gaming. I'm amazed that this 11 year old CPU can keep up so well compared the new kids on the block.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
Yeah that's true and I'm referring to terms of gaming. I'm amazed that this 11 year old CPU can keep up so well compared the new kids on the block.

Depends on the application. An equivelent Ryzen cpu will kill that Xeon in almost everything.

So you don't think I'm talking out my a$$, here is my daily.
Half of the equivalent Ryzen system will kill this rig.

Attachments

• snaphsot0001.png
    snaphsot0001.png
    975.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Yes and no. If you game at 1080p, in most titles, it will be significantly slower than any modern processor. Can it still reach 60 fps with a capable video card, sure... but what the point in buying a Ferrari to only drive it on side streets (glass ceiling)? So it CAN be good enough...but I wouldn't call it keeping up well in typical 1080p gaming. Here is a good video showing an i9 980x (6c/12t consumer version of your xeon) vs ryzen 2000 (ryzen 3000 is even faster, note, Intel too).

https://www.google.com/search?clien...FMjguMjWYAQCgAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#

As Zerilious said, what are your uses for this cpu? Why would you want to only find a modern equivalent when today's processors are so much faster? A 4c/8t ryzen 3000 (do they make those?) will beat that cpu... a 6c/12t ryzen 3000 would smash it.. so much more IPC.

So, what are your uses for this machine, just gaming at 1080p? Goals? Budget for the upgrade? Let's funnel this down to sniping instead of shotgun blasts.:)

Last edited:
OP
J

jackhulk

Registered
My usage is a bit of gaming. I was just curious to find the equivalent CPU on the market today as I'm amazed at how well the Xeons still performs considering how old/low cost they are, that's all. Anyways found some great vids here that answered my question...

Yeah I get your point about buying a Ferrari but my point of keeping my current system is that I don't game much, and so I don't see the value of spending loads for completely new system. My last card was OLD, so I couldn't play any new games. I've upgraded my graphics card and CPU that was cheap as chips and now I can game again with FPS that is within range of Ryzen 5, but with a CPU that cost 400% less. I'm happy with this.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It's tough to compare it that way. Any modern CPU will work that xeon over if you match core and thread (c/t) count. The only equivalent performance wise would be one with less cores and threads... like the 3400G at 4c/8t ($180) or even its 4c/4t little brother, 3200G ($120). Even those will likely be as fast as the 3600 in that first video in most titles (ones that dont use more than 4c/8t).

I get it though... :)

OP
J

jackhulk

Registered
Yeah completely understand. My PC until now was 100% for work and it is more than adequate for that. I stop gaming for many years, but recently got the itch to try some new games. My 'latest' console is Xbox 360 so to try latest games I would need to either buy new console or completely new PC... or so I thought!

Looked into seeing if I could upgrade my current build and really didn't have much hope seeing how old it is, so I was extremely surprised to discover the Xeons, how well they are still fairing AND how cheap they could be had for (important). Also compared graphics card and selected the MSI 1080 for it's incredible quiet operation (most important). Then read about 'bottlenecking', something I'd not been aware of before so this was my biggest fear compiling the 1080 with the x5690.

I do understand that this is throttling the 1080 to some degree, but as long as I can get the 60 FPS which I'm getting, I'm a happy camper.

Last edited: