• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
was on sale on thanksgiving (but not on bf for some odd reason)
for the switch, 400GB one in it atm is full so upgrading again and moving the 400GB one to phone

hvLMLPE.jpg
lAlrJI5.jpg

Jonsbo UMX4 (silver) case, something like this
I will post some photos some other time. I couldn't find any other compact ATX case without a window that I would like and wouldn't have a vertical GPU mount or wasted space. Gigabyte Z690 Master (EATX) and Noctua NH-P1 fit so it's already a success :)

5327642e5d796e1acf3068c15ad6a3a9.png

Intel AX210 wifi card for my laptop. The resident card has been doing weird things lately and with the arrival tomorrow of a wifi 6 capable router I took the opportunity to get a wifi 6 card for my laptop. Install was simple replace switch on... done. Only complication was having to show hidden bluetooth items in control panel and deleting them to allow reconnection of existing devices to the new bluetooth. Works well and I'll be back once the new router is here.

Intel AX210 wifi card for my laptop. The resident card has been doing weird things lately and with the arrival tomorrow of a wifi 6 capable router I took the opportunity to get a wifi 6 card for my laptop. Install was simple replace switch on... done. Only complication was having to show hidden bluetooth items in control panel and deleting them to allow reconnection of existing devices to the new bluetooth. Works well and I'll be back once the new router is here.

These cards are cheap but are a great upgrade, especially for older laptops. I wonder why many new motherboards don't have WiFi but have M.2 WiFi sockets. I could understand it in the budget mobo series but not in more expensive.

Here are two photos of the mentioned Jonsbo case and a quick build for tests from whatever I had around.

12600K/Aorus Z690 Master/Powercolor RX6800XT Red Devil/32GB DDR5-5200/2TB Kingston KC3000 SSD/Abkoncore 850W 80+Gold PSU (Seasonic clone)/Noctua fans+NH-P1 cooler - fans set to 0-40% speed

was on sale on thanksgiving (but not on bf for some odd reason)
for the switch, 400GB one in it atm is full so upgrading again and moving the 400GB one to phone

:shock:

Ok, I'll admit I'm jealous. Did the same, ordered a 1TB card yesterday. Have a 512GB card in my phone now, and yes I need MORE.

I double checked and it's the Extreme version, but I'd rather have the $50 saved over the bit of extra write speed I'll never take advantage of.

Was supposed to be a "Cyber Monday" sale but everyone had the same price. Ended up just grabbing it from B&H as they had free expedited shipping while Amazon had a ~1 week lead time. Newegg only had it available through sketchy 3rd party sellers which is a hard no.

These cards are cheap but are a great upgrade, especially for older laptops. I wonder why many new motherboards don't have WiFi but have M.2 WiFi sockets. I could understand it in the budget mobo series but not in more expensive.

Installed the card a couple of days ago and no repeat of the issue I was seeing with the old 9260. It was strange, I play World of Warships and about 30% of the times I started a game something screwed up and the network connection would initially fail and then the card would disappear, completely, not even present in Device Manager. Never happened with any other game or at any other time, and did not seem to care what driver version I used on the card. Not seen this issue since I replaced the card.

Another s20+, official refurb from samsung which says to be on like new condition with original packaging and 2 year warranty
$446 after promo that ebay was having with any refurb item
Xmas gift to replace their aging note 5

Screenshot_20211206-014816_eBay.jpg

Finally had everything I needed for a build in stock. I jumped on it. I wont have time to build it/play with it until Friday night after kids go to bed.

Attachments

• 20211208_100603.jpg
    20211208_100603.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 176
So...I had an interesting 7 days.

Last Wednesday, my 1TB mSD card came in, got that swapped.

Thursday I got a job offer, 22% more than I've been making.

Friday, got something that rhymes with a "morbid rooster".

Saturday, was bored yet didn't want to do anything due to that damn rooster keeping me up all night. Decided to run to the local MC, try and find something to keep me busy while just staying home. Been debating about getting another RPi or maybe a cheap NUC to use as a basic HTPC in the side room for streaming/local media playback. Turned out they only had the 2GB RPi 4 kits (boo) and the sales guy tried to push me towards a $720 pre-tax Intel NUC. Figured I could get away with something costing half that.

Sunday, I had my friends Stone and Sierra Nevada (don't ask, I think he's Dutch) over to watch the Washington game, and I decided to put my money where my mouth is on the NUC thing.

Monday I accepted the offer and put in my two weeks.

Yesterday was the only boring day, watching UPS tracking and all that.

And today I got this, a whopping $367 total after tax -

oCQNUufh.jpg

Wish me luck, I'll need it. Haven't had an Asus product run at 100% in the past decade, maybe even a decade and a half. Hoping this is their redemption arc.

Minor update: Gotta admit, I'm...impressed at how far the lower end CPUs have come. This thing has a Celery N5100, was a little skeptical at first as it has a stock clock of 1.1GHz. But even while pegged during the windows install and all associated updates, I was able to poke around in FF with no major slow downs or jerky-ness. Temps in the mid 60s for the CPU (and RAM apparently), not bad for a passive cooled plastic box. The 970 is sitting high at 81, but meh it did most of the grunt work. Could be a decent office PC or maybe even a lab/shop machine - 2.5GBe, USB 3.2 Gen 2, power delivery over USB-C, and a rarity, an integrated COM port.

New Alder lake build is done. More or less the 10th anniversary of me building my first PC, the EVGA SR-2 machine in the very same case. I don't ever see myself getting rid of this Cosmos II.

i9 12900k
MSI Z690 Pro-A DDR4
16 GB Patriot Viper Samsung B die 4400mhz CAS19
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
SuperFlower Leadex SE Platinum 1200w
25 TB of storage (for now) including Samsung 980 Pro 2tb boot disk

Noticed this when looking inside the PSU, Nippon Chemi Con, love to see it =P

Hv8evn2.jpg

Pt4Q8xw.jpg

I ordered these today (delivery tomorrow, 15th and 16th)

NAS.jpg

I already have 1 HGST DC HC550. I'd have bought the 20TBs but ~100% $ per drive for only ~10% more storage per drive seems not worth it to me.

I picked up a second ram stick for my wife's laptop. She was running Chrome on Windows 10 with Norton in the background with only 8GB and asked why her system was so slow. Lol.

I should have gotten her 64GB but there's only so much ram in this world. 16GB will have to do for now. I did replace her mechanical HDD with an NVMe Gen3 SSD earlier this week, so she's already doing better.

20211213_114327.jpg

Back