• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe88

New chair, anda seat jungle 2
A little cramped, and foot rest is a joke but it was free and cosidering I was coming from a 12 year old $30 staples office chair, cant complain too much

ezgif-2-a4be9ec9dd.jpg

My kinda-sorta b-day presents (no one knows what to get me so I usually just get a stack of gift cards) -

IMG_20220301_154900386.jpg

I realize I've been spamming the Cyber Deals section with SSDs, ended up getting the CS3040 as it seemed like a good midpoint between speed and price. Gonna replace the two WD Black spinners in my desktop, even with them in R0 I have to find something to do for a few minutes waiting for some games to load. Also finally accepted that I didn't need my *entire* Steam library installed at once.

Also got a basic USB RAID enclosure, figured I'd pull all the spinners out of the system since I won't be using them as much then.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
@freakdiablo
I didn't think that the TR-004 works separately, without a NAS. I just never checked its specs and looks like it works as a DAS via USB. It's pretty nice as you can use a small PC and USB works with everything. I had Thunderbolt 4 DAS for tests but later I had a hard time selling it as I didn't need it and barely anyone uses Thunderbolt (only expensive devices work with that and the performance isn't so amazing).

I got two ASUS Z690 Apex in a week ... both with "faulty" memory slots and went back to the store so no point to post a photo. Hopefully, MSI Z690 Unify-X will be fine and I share some more. It should arrive this week.

@freakdiablo
I didn't think that the TR-004 works separately, without a NAS. I just never checked its specs and looks like it works as a DAS via USB. It's pretty nice as you can use a small PC and USB works with everything. I had Thunderbolt 4 DAS for tests but later I had a hard time selling it as I didn't need it and barely anyone uses Thunderbolt (only expensive devices work with that and the performance isn't so amazing).

I just double checked, and looks like it does work standalone attached directly to a Windows/osx/*nix box, which is kinda what I'm aiming for.

If you're referring to my thread asking about NAS storage, I'm still working on that project lol. I just wanted something to get the spinners out of my desktop, going to transfer them to local mass media duty.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I have TerraMaster NAS and looking at specs it's pretty nice but my TV is losing the connection randomly and it's really annoying. Some files are also not refreshing on time because of pretty bad software. There are no problems with USB devices. I don't want another device that will stand around but I would think about something like the TR-004. Probably I would be fine with a 2-drive option.

Sorry, was on mobile and completely misread your other post. Yeah, that's actually why I wanted to keep these drives local, as I'll be converting media files off them and didn't want the network flickering/hanging during the conversion. There actually is a 2 drive version of the TR-004 (the TR-002) but it's only ~$30 cheaper.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
New OS drive; Crucial P5 Plus 500gb. My WD Black SN850 500gb is not behaving like it's supposed to and I have low tolerance for BS, so I'm replacing it.

Right off the bat the Crucial P5 Plus is doing it's job. Very impressive.

Attachments

• 20220312_150331.jpg
    20220312_150331.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • newdrive.jpg
    newdrive.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Max0r

Qnap PCIE 10Gbe ethernet adaptor to connect my main rig to my NAS in high speed fashion. Cute little card.

I coulda used one of those today. Probably a combined 10 hours of copying some stuff over gigabit to the hard drives I just put in to the new system. With 10 gigabit I think it could have been a clean 6-7 ;)

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I don't think that 10GbE will help much if you have HDD ... or at least not with 2-4 drives in RAID. It's visible when you have 8+ HDD or 2-4+ SSD, and even then it's often limited by NAS PCIe lanes.

Max0r

I don't think that 10GbE will help much if you have HDD ... or at least not with 2-4 drives in RAID. It's visible when you have 8+ HDD or 2-4+ SSD, and even then it's often limited by NAS PCIe lanes.
Certainly true, but it would be satisfying to at least get to experience full HDD burst over the LAN from time to time, that **** can almost get to 200 MB/s!:rofl:

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I have TerraMaster 2-bay 10GbE NAS which is quite cheap (the whole NAS costs about as much as QNAP or Synology 10GbE cards). 2xHDD RAID0 could make 200MB/s+. 2x SSD RAID0 could make 800MB/s. 2x SSD RAID1 could make about 400MB/s so nothing special, but the expected max was a bit over 500MB/s. NAS is fine for standard data sharing, but the software doesn't work well with my Samsung TV so let's say I have mixed feelings.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
My qnap has a 2tb Samsung ssd cache drive, then the five HDDs. I should be able to move stuff across pretty quick if the SSD does its job.

BugFreak

Looks nice DaveB.

I got to go into work on my vacation because some jackass ran into a power pole outside our office killing our network does that count as getting something today?