• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Died?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FireMogle

My comp in sig is dead and stopped posting some time ago and I just ran through the basics to try and save it. Ive eliminated the vid card, but Mobo, Ram, and Proc have no way of being tested with other parts or machines.

How She Died:
I was playing in the bios trying to get a little more out of it, throttled down the Cpu Multi and kept the Ram Mhz the same while increasing the FSB. And now it will power, but no post or beeps.

I want to fix it but right now I am strapped for cash and would rather not randomly guess which of the three died. So, anyone got any suggestions?

p.s.
The OC on it was less than sig 2Ghz CPU and no OC on Ram.

Vio1

did you try and clear the cmos? Remove the battery and move the appropriate jumper and replace the battery... maybe your prob is a lingering bios setting?

gustav

sorry i dont have anything to contribute to this, but a couple days ago i asked what happened to my rig and no one replied. makes me feel warm inside.

cyberey66

What I do when random stuff like this happens is strip everything, lay the motherboard down on a table pop out the cmos battery. Put in the cpu, ram, pci or agp cards for testing, plug in the power and short the power switch with a screwdriver. It's simple enough, but will show that at least one of the basic components is dead. Sometimes my computer would not turn on and after doing that it worked, then just add one component at a time unless it is the cpu/mobo or ram.

OP
FireMogle

FireMogle

I cleared the CMOS before, but right now the battery is out to make sure. Ive taken it down to basics CPU/MOBO/RAM/VID, and tried the two RAM sticks seperatly. I will replace the battery later and see if she lives. I dont think its the RAM, unless the two sticks died at the same time.

cyberey66

Unless you are getting bios beep codes, its probally your motherboard. You motherboard will give beep codes without a cpu and ram.