• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UPCguy21

Ok guys, here's the deal. For the last year I was stuck with an old modem that came with my motherboard(yes i'm still on dial-up):( anyway, the old modem was very slow, so i decided to go out and buy a new one. Anyway, I don't know if you've heard of them, but some now use what is called an AMR slot, or Audio Modem Riser slot. Anyway, I bought a Broadxent, which is a creative company, a subsidiary I'm guessing, and I pulled the old modem, popped the new one in, windows picks it up, says I need the drivers and PCI bridge or bus controller. Played with it a while, no go, so I figure well, i'll format the hard disk, do a clean install on windows xp pro, and then reinstall the drivers, that should do it. Well, i reset it, and the computer won't boot, the processor would not kick in for some reason. So I'm like what is the deal? I turn it off, then back on, it might start 1 of 50 tries. So I am thinking what is going on? Dad, knows a little about pc's says it could be the modem, I think no way, it picked it up, the processor might have been fried when i hit that reset button or something. Later, frustrated and very irratable, I decide well let's just pull this thing out and see what happens, and viola, starts right up?? Before i could hear the disks spinning, etc, so i knew there was power to everything, the cpu was not kicking in like it should.
I checked out the back of the case, and looked at the little red slider on the back of the power supply, I have a 230 watt by the way, and it is set on 115, that's what i've been using it at. I'm currently running a AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz, 512 mb's of ddr ram, 20 gig 7200 rpm maxtor hard disk, ati radeon 9000 pro, 128 meg, liteon 16x dvd, creative 8x4x32 cd-rw, Amptron mobo I think? 19 inch Mag monitor($159@best buy), and an hsp56mr modem that came with the board, oh yea, and i'm using a creative live soundblaster 5.1, it has onboard sound, and onboard nic card.
To me now, it sounded like the my whole problem was that the cpu was not getting enough juice. On my power supply, it says I can either do 115, or 230 watts. So what I want to know is if i pop this modem back in, switch it to 230 watts, will I fry this puppy? I'm posting from mom's pc right now, I know my setup may not sound like much, but i can't exactly afford to replace it, and I'm pretty fond of it, at the same time I want to be rid of the old modem(you frequently kicked off games b/c of connection, randomly booted internet, the thing does not even have xp drivers, running on win2k drivers, lol) But will I fry my comp if i crank the juice up, and the other thing, will I notice any speed diff? Sorry for having such a long post, but I really want to resolve this issue. Thanks everybody.

Btw, this new modem is for a pci interface, and is the v.92 standard

US robotics, was about the same features, but i'm not really fond of them. I've just heard bad things about them, and a friend of mine who has been in computers for years does not think they are very hip either. Plus i personally have more experience with creative. And the guy said this was the faster modem. Btw, i looked at the US robotics though, and they are both pci slots, and the same standard, so I don't see how the US robotics can consume less power....Anybody else?

the red switch at the back is for selecting the power wattage. because in europe they use a different amount or something. when i first got my new ps, i couldn't get my pc to boot cuz it was at the wrong setting, so i flipped it to 115 and it worked fine.

just go out and get a us robotics. they're pretty reliable.

US Robotics is a good company. I've a brand I would stear clear of is Diamond, I went through four of those in my mothers computer.

But the second that true blue USRob's modem was put in everything was gravy and havn't needed to replace it in over a year [ compared to the one every few months that somehow died before ]:)

The red switch is nothing to do with watts, it changes from 115volt input (usa) to 230volt input (UK and europe)

AMR or Audio Modem Riser is a little used standard that is mostly meant for system builders and suchlike. You see, its because AMR modems and sound cards are, on average, cheaper than comparable pci modems and sound cards, which is important when you are going out and buying ten thousand sound cards.

Back