• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I have here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qlone

Hello,

I hope not to offend anyone by asking for so much help in my first post.

I read up a little about OCing a few years ago, but gave up out of fear basically.

Its time for me to either upgrade my PC or get a new one, I was just curious if i have any components worth overclocking. If so I will try to learn more

So I'll start by posting all the info i could find on my PC about my processor. if needed i will go to the other areas of the forums to ask the same questions about other components (mobo ram video)

I got this PC from best buy three years ago....its an OEM hp pavilion 7905.

The processor: 1.4 athlon xp 1600+ ddr ms works
MMX 3DNOW

(from system information:)
x86 based pc
x86 family 6 model 6 Stepping 2 Authentic AMD ~ 1393
BIOS phoenix tech ltd 3.33 3/21/02
smbios 2.31
In other menus it's referencing AMD 761? Is 761 chipset or socket or somthing?
so thats what I know about my CPU, is it anything special in the OC world?
I would also like to ask about the mobo wich is an asus A7M266-M

thank you.

Qlone said:
Hello,

I hope not to offend anyone by asking for so much help in my first post.

I read up a little about OCing a few years ago, but gave up out of fear basically.

Its time for me to either upgrade my PC or get a new one, I was just curious if i have any components worth overclocking. If so I will try to learn more

So I'll start by posting all the info i could find on my PC about my processor. if needed i will go to the other areas of the forums to ask the same questions about other components (mobo ram video)

I got this PC from best buy three years ago....its an OEM hp pavilion 7905.

The processor: 1.4 athlon xp 1600+ ddr ms works
MMX 3DNOW

(from system information:)
x86 based pc
x86 family 6 model 6 Stepping 2 Authentic AMD ~ 1393
BIOS phoenix tech ltd 3.33 3/21/02
smbios 2.31
In other menus it's referencing AMD 761? Is 761 chipset or socket or somthing?
so thats what I know about my CPU, is it anything special in the OC world?
I would also like to ask about the mobo wich is an asus A7M266-M

thank you.

It's time for you to upgrade. It would really be a waste for any of us to touch on such old technology. I don't mean to be rude at all, but you can put together a fairly decent Socket A, s754, or s939 (think 32-bit or 64-bit) system at reasonable prices. If you are in fact willing to put together a new pc, please tell me how much you are willing to spend and we will take it from there.

deception``

^that’s not true.

The xp1600 isn’t that old. The only real problem I see with your system is its an HP. All computer manufactures neuter their motherboards so that there are no overclocking options. So in order for you to overclock, you would need to upgrade the motherboard.

You don’t mention how much Ram you have or what type of video card. If its still a stock system, then chances are you have 128 or 256 mb of ram and onboard video. You need to upgrade both of those.

As far as the xp1600, if you were to open the computer and physical remove the heatsink and fan. You would find the cpu which is a square, and on top of that a smaller square. The smaller square is called the core, and on the core is writing. The first line of writing is the cpu stepping, and certain steppings are known to overclock extremely well.
With water-cooling I was able to push 2300 mhz (900mhz overclock). And since the FSB was set higher, the entire computer ran faster.

It's most probably a Palomino 1600+.
Use this to see
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184363

Even if it isn't Palomino, the problem is that 1600+ you have has a retail 1600+ heatsink which is no good for any overclocking to speak of even if your mobo had overclocking options in BIOS which it may or may not with HPs and Compaqs...

With better cooling, you still may not be able to 'feel' a multiplier locked Palomino overclock with your PC2100 RAM.

yeah I deff agree with C627 it prolly is a Pally, and with at least a Thermalright heatsink under your hood the temps would be to high for a good OC and if you did OC you might get 150-200mhz out of it no more... best thing to do is find a relative/close friend and set em up with a good deal... Or possibly sell it off ebay or to someone running a folding farm =)

Back