• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you plug into a tv tuner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duckycrayfish

im looking to get a tv tuner to use with windows 7 media player... but i dont understand it. i have comcast, would i just unplug my cable box and plug that into the tv tuner? or would i plug it into the computer from the cable box.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
When I owned one, I didnt have a box, I just split the line in my basement and ran it to the back of the card. Not sure if there is an in/out to run the PC and tv on the same line or if that works.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

but u have to pay for the signal... and doesnt the cable box for companys basicly uncode the signal?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Maybe that was illegal... I dont know. If so, oops.

It worked. It was basic cable, I didnt get the guide or anything like that and only received around.....I dont know 30-50 channels. But I just wanted it for espn/tbs really and it worked.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
No.. I had HD upstairs, regular cable with a box on the rop floor, and internet in the basement. I spilit the internet line to get the basic cable.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
b/c cable doesnt even support 1080p. Broadcasts are in 720p/1080i for HD. The only thing 1080p out now are Bluray and their former competition. too uch bandidth needed for 1080p for cable for now.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
No.. I had HD upstairs, regular cable with a box on the rop floor, and internet in the basement. I spilit the internet line to get the basic cable.

Long as you do not un-encrypt the signal to the card. Your at the mercy of the providers license. IT is ok to take the unencrypted recording/watching from the line. Fair use stuff, just do not share it with others. Personal use and all of that. If you decrypy/share it. Your afoul of laws and stuff in the US.

Last edited:
OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

ok. and i dont understand why it depends on the hardware to record and watch at the same time. i know win7 media center supports that...
does the card need to say it works with win 7 media center to be able to record and watch at the same time through that?

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
Your going to need drivers and the software to use it. Plus it is dependant on how good the software for the card is.... If it works good with Win7. Generally - Vista is comparable with Win7.
Hardware is the easy part. It should plug in like any other card. Be it PCI or PCI-e. All you will need is an active coax or what the company has. Cable you should be able to split off and use just the coax for the card. To get above a certain channels you may need a box. Usually above 101, but is unique to the cable provider. It could be 97 even.. In general, anything on a digital box is encrypted. Basic cable is open game. IT is highly dependent on your signal provider.

If you want HD. You will have to go for OTA. Which is over the air, or antenna. OR break laws and be super crafty.

Last edited:

MARCI

A regular tv tuner card will work fine, until comcast in your area goes fully digital signal, and terminates the analog broadcast of anything other than local DTV broadcast channels..

At that time you'll need to get a tuner that supports CableCard. You'll rent the card from the cable company.

turbohans

^ I agree, a regular one is cheep too. as far as the drivers my super uber old Compro Video Mate needs no to cd to work with WMP. Windows inherently supports that card or somthing.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

ok cool. i have a box so thats ok. but how do cable companys provide hd if i cant use their coaxal cable?
can that ati digital cable tuner let u record 1 and watch one at the same time?

MARCI

This would be my vote:
ATI Digital Cable Tuner
You plug one of your cable cards into it. Full access to all the content you pay for. (and no DVR premiums)

I ordered one of those to replace my Hauppage 1850, Amazon has it backordered, so I'll let y'all know how I like it once I get it.

One thing I picked up from the Amazon reviews, it doesn't like it when your pc goes to sleep. That's not a problem for me, since my box is folding when I'm not doing anything else.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
All cable operators, by law, have to offer a "basic" package unencrypted over their lines. This is usually limited to the "national" stations like NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, and PBS, but in some areas, you can get other 'locals' like TBS in Atlanta, WGBH in Boston, WGN in Chicago, etc.

All you need in most areas to get these channels is a tuner that has QAM decryption built into it.

Beyond those basic channels though, you generally need the cable/satellite company's box to decrypt the rest of the package you ordered.