• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think my real core temp might be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danny54

Registered
The sensor is obviously incorrect. This is not to say I don't have very cool temps but my core temp is always 1 or 2C below ambient, and when I had both side covers off a few days ago, ambient was 18c and core temp was reading 14c. My core temp is also always considerably lower than cpu temp. All programs tell me the same core temps, including CoreTemp. While the core temperature is *presumably* incorrect,.. it,....and the cpu temp,.. both dropped relative to each other when going from stock cooler to TRUE, both about 12c drop. Stock cooler used to be 44c cpu idle, and core temp was 30c. With TRUE, stock cooler is 32c idle and core temp is 18c.
When loading with prime95, orthos, or intel burn test, I only get a 3 to 5c increase in cpu and core temperatures, which is amazing. 36c cpu load and 23c core temp load with orthos tonight. So I'm obviously very pleased with this.

But I'd love to know what my REAL core temperature is. Do you think it might be 10c above, more, less, or even close to what it reads? Btw, nothing overclocked, 550BE @ 3.1GHz, cores locked. Here's a screenshot of HWMonitor that I took just now. Ambient room temp is currently 20.7c, and outside temp is 17.6c. Ignore TMPIN2, it's a known buggy sensor for my mobo.

These are mine at idle/load with the x3 720BE!

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz141/johnboy1998/TEMPS1/Temps.png

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz141/johnboy1998/TEMPS1/Loadtemps.png

Are you talking about an offset or am I missing the point?

Ah, that's interesting. You've also got lower core than cpu temps. I've also seen some others with phenoms where the core temp is lower than the cpu temp. Seems to be more with AMD than intel cpus. What do you mean by offset? I've seen that term banded about but don't really understand what it means. :confused:

Well is it an offset with HW monitor/coretemp like you said +/- 10c, I think mine are too low also considering my OC! I know on coretemp with my Athlon x2 5000 you set the offset under options in coretemp, I am sure it was -5c or something like that!

Obviously they are different cpus but maybe its the same with the PIIs

The thermal sensor (at least on Intel CPUs) is read as a delta (difference) from a constant. That constant on a Q9xx0 CPU is 100C, AFAIK. The CPU thermal sensor will tell your program something like -55, which means your CPU is 55C below that constant, which means your CPU is at 45C. The program reading the sensor may have an incorrect number for the constant, in which case you would need to use an offset option. If the offset in the program is 5, and the constant is 100C, then it will measure the difference using 105C, instead of 100C, so if the sensor says -55, the program will tell you 50, where it would tell you 45 without the offset.

The thermal sensor (at least on Intel CPUs) is read as a delta (difference) from a constant. That constant on a Q9xx0 CPU is 100C, AFAIK. The CPU thermal sensor will tell your program something like -55, which means your CPU is 55C below that constant, which means your CPU is at 45C. The program reading the sensor may have an incorrect number for the constant, in which case you would need to use an offset option. If the offset in the program is 5, and the constant is 100C, then it will measure the difference using 105C, instead of 100C, so if the sensor says -55, the program will tell you 50, where it would tell you 45 without the offset.

That's a bit complicated for me, lol. All I'm trying to find out is what my core temperature might really be, since I'm just assuming it's incorrect, and now that I've seen there's an offset option in core temp, what number do I set it to, that's if I need to set it?

They're good :p

What's ambient in your room, roughly?

The PhII 810 i'm on right now has tempin1 that follows the core temps pretty closely, for whatever that is worth.
You could try to figure it out by testing what speed a high overclock (3.7-4ghz range) crashes at, but i can't say i recommend it. In fact, i don't recommend it, because i don't want anybody yelling at me when they fry their CPU :p

AMD does core temp sensors differently, i don't remember if they're any more accurate then intel sensors at the low end though.

At idle with a good cooler and good airflow the temps probably won't be more then 5*c over ambient, maybe 10.

They're good :p

What's ambient in your room, roughly?

The PhII 810 i'm on right now has tempin1 that follows the core temps pretty closely, for whatever that is worth.
You could try to figure it out by testing what speed a high overclock (3.7-4ghz range) crashes at, but i can't say i recommend it. In fact, i don't recommend it, because i don't want anybody yelling at me when they fry their CPU :p

AMD does core temp sensors differently, i don't remember if they're any more accurate then intel sensors at the low end though.

At idle with a good cooler and good airflow the temps probably won't be more then 5*c over ambient, maybe 10.

Well currently, my digital thermometer is reading 21.1C ambient, and CoreTemp and HWMonitor read my cores as 18C. That can't be possible on air cooling? And aren't core temps meant to be higher than bios temps?

Yep, I have a great cooler and really good airflow. So if my current ambient is 21.1c and my core temperature is reading below at 18c, in reality, my coretemp idle temp is actually between about 26c and 31c? That sounds reasonable and still nice temps. But if that's the case, how is it possible that under load, my bios temp, the cpu socket or whatever it is, is still higher at 36c? Because my core temps only go up by 2 or 3c under load which would put the coretemp at a maximum of about 34c under load.

Last edited:
The sensor is obviously incorrect. This is not to say I don't have very cool temps but my core temp is always 1 or 2C below ambient, and when I had both side covers off a few days ago, ambient was 18c and core temp was reading 14c. My core temp is also always considerably lower than cpu temp. All programs tell me the same core temps, including CoreTemp. While the core temperature is *presumably* incorrect,.. it,....and the cpu temp,.. both dropped relative to each other when going from stock cooler to TRUE, both about 12c drop. Stock cooler used to be 44c cpu idle, and core temp was 30c. With TRUE, stock cooler is 32c idle and core temp is 18c.
When loading with prime95, orthos, or intel burn test, I only get a 3 to 5c increase in cpu and core temperatures, which is amazing. 36c cpu load and 23c core temp load with orthos tonight. So I'm obviously very pleased with this.

But I'd love to know what my REAL core temperature is. Do you think it might be 10c above, more, less, or even close to what it reads? Btw, nothing overclocked, 550BE @ 3.1GHz, cores locked. Here's a screenshot of HWMonitor that I took just now. Ambient room temp is currently 20.7c, and outside temp is 17.6c. Ignore TMPIN2, it's a known buggy sensor for my mobo.

(pic)
An offset is simply the difference between a given reading and the actual value of what's being read. In CoreTemp there's an offset option so if you use say 10 as your offset in CoreTemp then CoreTemp will take what it's reading (18°C for example), add 10 to it, then display 28°C for your core temp.

At stock speeds with a TRUE my 940 runs ~8°C above ambient. Considering how close that is to the difference between your ambient and HWMonitor's CPU reading I'd say stick with that as an actual reading. HWMonitor shows 28°C for your CPU so compare that to CoreTemp's reading and use the difference as your offset. If HWMonitor is showing 28°C and CoreTemp is showing 14°C then use (28-14 =) 14 as an offset. If it's showing 28 and 18 use (28-18 =) 10 as an offset.

Hope that helps clear things up ... :)

Last edited:
An offset is simply the difference between a given reading and the actual value of what's being read. In CoreTemp there's an offset option so if you use say 10 as your offset in CoreTemp then CoreTemp will take what it's reading (18°C for example), add 10 to it, then display 28°C for your core temp.

At stock speeds with a TRUE my 940 runs ~8°C above ambient. Considering how close that is to the difference between your ambient and HWMonitor's CPU reading I'd say stick with that as an actual reading. HWMonitor shows 28°C for your CPU so compare that to CoreTemp's reading and use the difference as your offset. If HWMonitor is showing 28°C and CoreTemp is showing 14°C then use (28-14 =) 14 as an offset. If it's showing 28 and 18 use (28-18 =) 10 as an offset.

Hope that helps clear things up ... :)

Thanks QuietIce, that does help, but I still have one or 2 question marks.

My TMPIN1 is my cpu/bios temp and TMPIN0 is actually my motherboard/system temp. So cpu/bios temp is 32c.

So based on my core temp reading of 18c, my offset should be set to +14c, is that rght? Therefore making my core temp 32c, same as cpu/bios at idle.

But wouldn't core temperature be higher than the cpu/bios temp as opposed to the same since cpu/bios temperature is reading the heat around the processor and core temperature is the heat of the processor itself? So in other words, wouldn't the offset need to be set to something above +14c?

Example, if cpu/bios reads 32c, it may be that the core temp is, say, 33, 34, 35, or any number higher. Woud that be right?

your GPU temps are nice too. Which GPU is that? Aftermarket cooling on it?

Yeah, that's the thermalright HR-03-GT, it's excellent. I used to have 52c idle and 85c furmark load with stock coolers. but since putting on the thermalright, and also the thermalright on my cpu, my load temp for gpu is now 45c. Quite a difference! :D

Thanks QuietIce, that does help, but I still have one or 2 question marks.

My TMPIN1 is my cpu/bios temp and TMPIN0 is actually my motherboard/system temp. So cpu/bios temp is 32c.

So based on my core temp reading of 18c, my offset should be set to +14c, is that rght? Therefore making my core temp 32c, same as cpu/bios at idle.

But wouldn't core temperature be higher than the cpu/bios temp as opposed to the same since cpu/bios temperature is reading the heat around the processor and core temperature is the heat of the processor itself? So in other words, wouldn't the offset need to be set to something above +14c?

Example, if cpu/bios reads 32c, it may be that the core temp is, say, 33, 34, 35, or any number higher. Woud that be right?
Maybe yes, maybe no - it all depends on how good the board sensor is. Probe II, which is an ASUS only program for temps and voltage, agrees very closely with CoreTemp - at most it's off 1°C. It does take a couple of minutes to come up to CoreTemp's reading but it gets there and pretty much matches it. Whether your Gigabyte board would be as close I don't know ... :shrug:

Back