• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you think of this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smallghost

Registered
Athlon 64 Newcastle 2800+
Stock heatsink and fan
Chaintech VNF3-250
Mushkin PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4
Sapphire 9200SE 128MB
WD 80GB HDD
Antec Super Lanboy Case
Sparkle 350W PSU

This rig is only used for media playback (rmvb/avi on dvd-r). I do not plan to overclock it. I have a few questions tho, is the power supply strong enough to run this whole thing at stock? Is the RAM good enough for the newcastle to run at stock speed? Is the rig good enough to playback rmvb/avi file on a regular 27" tube TV efficiently?

Thanks in advance.
smallghost

Yes, if thats all your going to do with it then your fine. You shouldnt run into any probs at all. You can get a better/more powerful PSU for the money though. Get something along the lines of a 420watt. Also, your vid card may not display the best picture no less, if you can, go up to a ATI 9600 or GeForce 5500/5700 256MB w/ S-vid out.

turn your p4 into your media box... if you were to spend just a touch more and use the components from your p4 rig you will have a much faster main rig and an awesome backup rig. your sink should fit too if you get the new backplate... it is forsale on frozencpu.com

I would get the DFI 250GB before I would buy the Chaintech board. Lot of people have it so you'll get good support from all of us. You might consider getting an Antec Sonata since it already comes with a pretty good PSU..

If your doing encoding work, or backing up your DVDs, then use a P4 for the media center. I would use a P4 anyway, for the hyperthreading ability.

Mushkin is highend ram. if your not overclocking or anything, look for budget ram like crucial (good brand but cheap)

9mm: for the mushkin ram, it's about $71 at newegg........I can't seem to find crucial PC3200 512mb Ram below $70.....would you mind telling me where I can find some cheap crucial ram?

matts: the sonata is a good case too (at $99).....but I think I can get the super lanboy with the sparkle psu for $120.....so it's not that big of a difference, right? :) for the dfi mobo, you are right...I will definitely get that instead if I am building my own rig.....but is there any specific reason why you will recommend that for a media center (which i won't o/c it)?

optimus: I was thinking about turning my p4 to media center too....but I will ends up spending much more since I want better stuff if it's for my gaming rig....but anyway, it's very tempting. :drool: I hate you, I may end up spending more $$$ b/c you brought that up :p j/k

thanks again for the replies guys!!

Oh, you know you'll get the urge to overclock it just a tad. ;)

I've just been really impressed with DFI lately. They are turning out some very good products.

you said "This rig is only used for media playback (rmvb/avi on dvd-r)" Why would you get anything over 1.6ghz for that? Plus playing video doesn't use the video card much, so the 9200 should do fine plus some. Why buy "really good" brand ram, stick to cheapo models of ram. Unless your doing video editing or want this rig to play games, why not just get the cheapest barton cored chip and NF7 or something? Oh yeah, btw my barton XP at 1.7vcore 9600xt a7n8x-e 512mb 120gig only uses 180watts of my 300watt power supply....

Back