• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you use to clean/take off HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

just wondering what i should use and do to take it off

thanks

and also what i should use to clean the die/HS

thanks guys

I use canned air to blow off the heatsink. If it's really dirty, I use a thin rag, and try to wipe off the individual fins, but that rarely happens.

I use kleenex for the CPU die / heatsink bottom. AC3 didn't look like it would come out of cloth easily.

no.. I'm usually just re-applying AC3 and reseating the heatsink anyway.. is old AC3 in the heatsink bottom bad?

i always clean mine off with acetone or nail polish remover.

i use a lint free rag. then i reapply AS3.

acetone and NPR will be safe on the die as well.

Like su root, I just clean the eccess off and re-apply. When I make a mess and it goes on the sides or somewhere where it's not supposed to, I clean it off with alcohol and a lint free cloth I get from a friend.

Hmm, I guess hobby shops will have them. I get them free from a friend who owns an eyeglass business. Where he gets them? Who knows. But I know he used to get them in bulk.

You can get lint free cloth at auto places or many automotive sections.

I prefer have preference to using isopropyl alcohol.

fiji said:
where can you find a lint free cloth?

a "KIWI" cloth would also work. you can find them in your local grocery store or anywhere that sells boot polish.
Cheap too

fiji said:
can you use alcohol on the cpu die?

yes
that is what alot of people do....
just go out and buy the purriest rubbing achlol that you can

Back