• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you wanna see ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bafbrian

I have recently purchased a K7D Duallie and a pair of procs that I already hardcoded using (I can't remember his name,) guide and it all works perfectly.

But the real question is when you think AMD with come out with a new chipset for SMP ?

Also, what do you want to see a new chipset from them ?

IMHO, I would love to see a chipset for Duallie AMD with NF3 Pro(End-User) and a whole lot of features.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter ?

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
My opinion...

No one is going to put out another dual chipset for our beloved XP/MP's.

Hammer will be the future of AMD, but right now, it is too expensive, for me.

Intrepid

I think that if AMD does not update thier chipset they may had the PC and low end server market to Intel bit by bit. but they do seem very interested in Opteron for the moment, and ofr good reason!

rottenspam

There had been some speculation too a little while ago that Nvidia might make a dullie chipset for the MP/XP but I doubt that it will ever see the light of day since thier forcus is most likely Nforce3 for opteron/Athlon64.

Too bad we all got stuck with AMD's first generation DDR chipset. At least were not stuck with a S-DRAM solution :-(

Fafler

IMHO is the best thing about the Athlon MP the chipsset. I would much rather have a Irongate based machine than a updated chipset from a 3rd. party supplier.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I don't know if I will go so far as to call the MPX chipset great, but it is pretty darn good.

It is stable, decently fast, and it does what it is supposed to do.

I don't understand why people complain about it so much. It has been a great chipset for me and my own experience with it has shown that it has admirable performance.

DanFraser

cmcquistion said:
I don't know if I will go so far as to call the MPX chipset great, but it is pretty darn good.

It is stable, decently fast, and it does what it is supposed to do.

I don't understand why people complain about it so much. It has been a great chipset for me and my own experience with it has shown that it has admirable performance.

I think most people moan bout it coz it can't overclock very high!

DanFraser

cmcquistion said:

I can overclock it to 150 with no problems, whatsoever.

What I mean is, they wanna go much higher, and start whinging... Taking my XP2000s to 1800MHz isnt that much of an overclock, only 8%, yet people want these huge overclocks equivalent to a P4 or these dl3tc or whatever they are...

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
DanFraser said:

What I mean is, they wanna go much higher, and start whinging... Taking my XP2000s to 1800MHz isnt that much of an overclock, only 8%, yet people want these huge overclocks equivalent to a P4 or these dl3tc or whatever they are...

That's true, but if you're really hardcore about it, you can always blow the bridges for a higher multi, like 13 or 15 or something.

FunkDaMonkMan

I just hope they have a good workstation chipset for the hammer.

ya know...

agp
high fsb options
multi
vcore
vdimm
ram timings
maybe even individual voltage controls for the processors.

but that stuff compromises stability, and that's what duallies are supposed to be, stable.

CPFitz14

Why... that's the thing. I mean, aren't all computers supposed to be stable? It shouldn't compromise stability if you don't mess with it, and if you need it to be stable, you obviously aren't going to mess with it.

If you don't know which settings you are changing, chances are, you shouldn't be buying that particular motherboard in the first place. Joe Sixpack doesn't just go out and buy himself a dually motherboard.

My feeling: At least give us the option.

-CPFitz-

PCphreak

Just to answer the original question-

I attended the AMD Tech Tour 2003 conference, and they spoke a bit about the MP. Basically the 760(MP) and 762(MPX) were AMD's foot in the server market door.
Technically all AMD processors since K6 were capable of SMP (snooping).
The 762 will be followed up by K8 chipsets, so 762 is the end of the road for the K7 SMP systems.
According to the spokeswoman: AMD will be making a chipset for K8 as well, but at this point they don't plan on "getting into" the chipset business like Intel. I personally wouldn't look for to many chipsets for K8 from AMD either.

So, if AMD has to rely on 3rd party at this point- I feel nVidia is their ace in the hole, unless VIA and SiS step up their game.

-PC

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
PCphreak said:
Just to answer the original question-

I attended the AMD Tech Tour 2003 conference, and they spoke a bit about the MP. Basically the 760(MP) and 762(MPX) were AMD's foot in the server market door.
Technically all AMD processors since K6 were capable of SMP (snooping).
The 762 will be followed up by K8 chipsets, so 762 is the end of the road for the K7 SMP systems.
According to the spokeswoman: AMD will be making a chipset for K8 as well, but at this point they don't plan on "getting into" the chipset business like Intel. I personally wouldn't look for to many chipsets for K8 from AMD either.

So, if AMD has to rely on 3rd party at this point- I feel nVidia is their ace in the hole, unless VIA and SiS step up their game.

-PC

What do you mean?

AMD has a chipset for dual Opterons right now. I think they have a couple chipsets.

Here is just one example of a dual Opteron board with an AMD chipset.

To my knowledge, there is no other dual Opteron chipsets, except for the AMD ones.

PCphreak

cmcquistion said:

What do you mean?

AMD has a chipset for dual Opterons right now. I think they have a couple chipsets.

Here is just one example of a dual Opteron board with an AMD chipset.

To my knowledge, there is no other dual Opteron chipsets, except for the AMD ones.

What I was trying to say was:
That even though AMD makes a chipset for K8 (Opteron & A64), they won't be producing chipsets at the rate of their competitor: Intel. So, if AMD has to rely on a 3rd party- nVidia has the upper hand...it's just too bad we may not see a dual Nforce platform from them.
Right, there are no 3rd party chipsets announced for Opteron...just A64.

-PC

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
PCphreak said:

What I was trying to say was:
That even though AMD makes a chipset for K8 (Opteron & A64), they won't be producing chipsets at the rate of their competitor: Intel. So, if AMD has to rely on a 3rd party- nVidia has the upper hand...it's just too bad we may not see a dual Nforce platform from them.
Right, there are no 3rd party chipsets announced for Opteron...just A64.

-PC

Ok, I gotcha now. I thought you were saying that AMD wasn't going to make chipsets for Opteron.

PCphreak

cmcquistion said:

Ok, I gotcha now. I thought you were saying that AMD wasn't going to make chipsets for Opteron.

Also cmcquistion, in case you were interested:

I asked the engineer there [tech tour] about the embedded memory controller in A64. I wanted to know if it would be user configurable through the BIOS, or be set by SPD only.
The good news is that IT WILL BE USER CONFIGURABLE. Which should mean it will be capable of being overclocked.
But, he slipped in the disclaimer right after answering my question that: "AMD does not approve/support/warranty any settings/memory other than JDEC approved.":p

Now what Opteron's memory controller will be like, he never said.

-PC

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
AMD, in the past, has stepped into the chipset scene only when it was critical to the success of their products. Two examples:

1. 751 chipset for Slot A - introduction of Athlon
2. 760 chipset for Socket A - Introduction of DDR for the Athlon
3. 760MP/X for socket A - SMP for Athlon

In all these situations, it was advantageous to do the chipset making themselves to kickstart the platforms and get the early adopters to buy into the technology. If you look at the matured chipsets for these platforms (if they exist) they are all 3rd party.

Basically AMD doesn't want to rely on someone else to set the early standard for viability and performance of a new platform. I would not expect them to change this practice. Initial K8 chipsets were AMD made... and once the 3rd party support gets to a level they like, they drop out of the chipset business (for that platform).