• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does this mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bular

Under my bios settings for memory where I can set my cas settings and stuff theres a setting for "Refresh Mode Select" and I can set it to 3 different settings. One is around 7 sec, another for 15 sec, and third one I forgot :rolleyes: . Its set on 15 sec... does it matter if I change it to 7 sec? Will I get any performance out of it?

I'm currently running on a p4 2.4b on a gigabyte 845pe667 with 256mb corsair xms pc3500.

*edit* my mistake its not 7 sec or anything of that sort.. the settings were 7 usec, 15.8 usec, and 64 usec. I think its in nanoseconds. Any other input on this?

Last edited:

attack

hmmm this might be the setting that it actualy sends some current into the RAM to recharge it's capacators....there's SRAM and DRAM, SRAM uses flip-flops and is really fast, expensive, and continualy needs current. DRAM isn't as fast but it can hold the data until it's capacitors leak out (which is a small amount of time).

If I'm right about what that is then making it 7 seconds will all more stability for your RAM (in theory), making it longer will save on your electrical bill? maybe?

OP
n00bular

n00bular

hmm still confused... o yeah I forgot that my timings are 2-2-2-5 and they pass memtest and prime stably (because I'm running stock right now so its only running at ddr333 speeds).