• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does your cpu run at with a SLK 900a or similar w/ a tornado

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andy82

Ok well i just got all my stuff today which includes the nexus fancontroller, as5 Xtrac mouse pad, Thermalright SLK 900a, a 92mm tornado fan, and some fan grills. well i put the as5 on, and the heatsink and got everything on and ready to go and then i turn it on, well i look at my temps and right now they are at 40c cpu fan all the way up, and temp 32, are these good temps well they are a lot better than 70c with my volcano 8 heh, but i just wanted to see what other people were getting. The tornado is loud but then again i have a 24 port switch that has like 40mm fans in it and that thing is just as loud, not bad. here are some pics also heh well i just looked at my temps and they are at 35c cpu and 35c case heh
IMG_0597.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0599.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0600.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0601.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0606.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0618.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0605.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0619.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
Andy82

Andy82

ok well i just checked my bios and i looked at the temps in there and my case was 42 and cpu 60 i have a gigabyte mobo GA 7N400-L and then i had my side panel on for about 15mins and then it started beeping once every 2-1 second and then it shut down, so i felt my heatsink and it didnt fell that hot well not hot at all it was siletly warm, why did it restart and what should i use to get a good temp reading that is acurate. Thanks

Lifthanger

I've got an 7n400L and slk900a, too. xp-m 2600+
My 92mm fan does 47cfm. and my temperatures are cpu 49/54C and system always 31C.
What is your cpu running at and what's your core voltage? I don't get why your temps are that lower.

do you have any case fans? low airflow would explain your high temps.
especially your system temp shows that you need some more case airflow.

OP
Andy82

Andy82

ok well i have easytune 4 and i just checked that and it says my temps are 40case and 57idle cpu i think that is wrong, what do you use to monitor your temps my core voltage it at stock, i have 4 case fans one at top one under cd drives and 1 under hd's. Any suggestions.

Lifthanger

what is your stock voltage? you can read it in easy tune.mine is 1,6V
how much air is your tornado moving? around 80cfm?
I'm using easy tune and motherboard monitor 5, but the temperatures are the same with both programs. So they should be correct. In which directions do your case fans blow and what is their capacity? Your system temp is just to high.. and this high temp also shows, that there is to little air movement around the cpu/northbrigde. I had 44C System and 57C cpu with open case, but without any other fans. e.g. One fan directed at the northbrigde lowered temps to 33/54. If your core is at 1,6V and idle temp won't drop below 51C you should reseat your heatsink. btw. what's your ambient temp?

what did you talk about in your first post? your temps where really low then?

soo many questions :burn:

moonshaes

Registered
Andy82 said:
ok well i just checked my bios and i looked at the temps in there and my case was 42 and cpu 60 i have a gigabyte mobo GA 7N400-L and then i had my side panel on for about 15mins and then it started beeping once every 2-1 second and then it shut down, so i felt my heatsink and it didnt fell that hot well not hot at all it was siletly warm, why did it restart and what should i use to get a good temp reading that is acurate. Thanks

well after looking at your pics I see that you have the cpu spacers (white plastic dots) on your HS.. I would remove those and reinstall your HS.
reason being the combo of the spacers on the cpu and HS will not let your HS
touch your CPU core which = BAD

Also when re-installing your HS make sure you wipe off the old Thermal paste and apply a very thin layer on the CPU core. (pin head size drop will do)

:thup:

Lifthanger

I'm using these spacers, too.And I'm too not content with my temps.
Removing them seems to be a good idea, but aren't they made to protect the die?
did you try this yourself?

also this doesn't explain the high sys temps.
sys temps will even increase, as the air coming from the cpu-fan will be hotter then.
your idea will help decrease cpu temp and should be tried, but there are other problems still.

moonshaes

Registered
Lifthanger said:
I'm using these spacers, too.And I'm too not content with my temps.
Removing them seems to be a good idea, but aren't they made to protect the die?
Well yes they are, if your CPU doesn't have spacers.

did you try this yourself?
Yes

also this doesn't explain the high sys temps.
Yes in a way it does. because when one heat source cannot get rid of the heat fast enough it transfers it though the easiest way (i.e. mobo) and from there it's just a chain reaction..

Andy82 said:
ok well i have easytune 4 and i just checked that and it says my temps are 40case and 57idle cpu i think that is wrong, what do you use to monitor your temps my core voltage it at stock, i have 4 case fans one at top one under cd drives and 1 under hd's. Any suggestions.

for the case fans:
The one in the top should be sucking air out of the case. (heat rises)
also you should have the front case fans pulling air into your case.
if you have a case fan in the side of your case it should be pulling air in.
the case fan in the back (if one is there) should be sucking air out of the case.
**note** Also a good idea is to have the higher cfm case fans as the intake fans.

OP
Andy82

Andy82

Ok well i just went to the local wal mart and bought some 91% alchohol and took the heatsink off and cleaned the core really good and cleaned the heatsink really good. then i reapplied some as5 and put everything back on, i left the spacers on, i didnt read this till after. My cpu does have spacers so i might have to do that, but before my system would reboot after like 20mins after i put the side panel on, what would be causing this, it hasnt happend since i reset the heatsink. Here are some pics. and the tornado fan here is the specs for that Specification:
Compatibility: Case
Dimensions: 92 x 92 x 38 mm
Bearing Type: Double Ball Bearing
Nominal Speed(RPM): 4800
Max Air Flow:(CFM): 119
Max Pressure: Not Specified
Heat Sink Material: N/A
Rated Voltage: 12V DC
Connector: 3 Pin and 4 Pin
Noise(dBA): 56.4
Special Features: Custom Made Cable For Fan R.P.M Detection

The fan at the top is exhaust the back one is exhaust and then i have 1 under my cd drives and 1 under hd.
My stock voltage is about 1.67 ish
For motherboard monitor 5 when it ask you like what version mobo do you have i choose GA 7N400-L and then it comes up with 3 more choices which one did you choose Lifthanger thanks. well yes my temps were really low for some reason then when i first turned it on and looked at them.
IMG_0620.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0625.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0628.jpg
[/IMG]
That green cloth is my lint free cloth.
IMG_0638.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0640.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0642.jpg
[/IMG]

Lifthanger

I chose the first option, the other 2 are L1 I think.
If the two fans on the front are intakes, your case should have a really nice flow. where do your temps get now after some time?
I'm glad your system is running, now we can compare our temperatures, as our setup is nearly the same. my core voltage is at 1,61V though.. but when it comes down to vcore this boards has its own stubborn head. :)

to moonshaes:
your right with what you've said.

my cpu has its own spacers, but in the installation instructions of the heatsink it said, that the sink would fit between these spacers, which is the reason why they included these pads... I'm sure removing them would decrease temperature, but I'm not sure if I could afford another barton :cool:
thanks for your hints, I'm always looking out for some experienced guys, who could share some of their knowledge

OP
Andy82

Andy82

well i cleaned up the cables as best as i could with them still being able to power all the devices. My computer seems to be running a little better now and my cpu idle is at 48c and case 33c. Hasnt shutdown on me yet and seems to be running fine. As you can tell in the first pick i had left a lot of the old artic silver that was on there because i didnt have anything to clean it with then i went and bought some 91% alcohol and cleaned the core really good as you can tell in the pick above, I didnt lap my heatsink because i didnt think i needed to. After cleaning it up really good, and resetting my heatsink and everything it seems to be running better even though i wish my temps were a little lower than what they are. I was hoping for like low 40's high 30's that would have been nice for temp but maybe like lifthanger said as5 has the breakin period of 200 hours. So maybe after that my temps will drop.

moonshaes

Registered
Andy82 said:
Ok well i just went to the local wal mart and bought some 91% alchohol and took the heatsink off and cleaned the core really good and cleaned the heatsink really good. then i reapplied some as5 and put everything back on, i left the spacers on, i didnt read this till after. My cpu does have spacers so i might have to do that, but before my system would reboot after like 20mins after i put the side panel on, what would be causing this, it hasnt happend since i reset the heatsink.

There could be a number of things that would cause the reboot:
but since it hasn't rebooted itself after you re-seated the HS, I would have
to conclude that the mobo didn't correctly ID your CPU fsb and multi and/or your mem fsb and timings. (which can happen if the jumpers are not set correctly on the mobo) (Check your mobo manual to make sure all jumpers are set correctly) Also check that your bios is setup correctly..

:thup:

Lifthanger

we'll just stay in touch about our temperatures. I've added the as5 and the heatsink today, so I hope my temperatures drop, too.
my idle temp is at 49C with this noname 48cfm fan.
maybe our motherboard shows higher temps than others, as our temps are almost the same. (and higher than temps on other boards as it seems)
I'll be off tomorrow (cutting some serious holes into my case) , but I won't forget you.. going to sleep now.. its 3:40 in germany

Shuruga2

my $0.02
(tornado + 900u + 1.4 t-bird))
i've always had a 15-20 degree difference cpu to case (with a best of 12) so i'd say your on track.
i also found that having the fan a full blast was only 2 deg lower than at 3k rpm (rather quiet for that fan)

OP
Andy82

Andy82

well my temps are quite different in mbm5 and easytune 4, i have heard with gigabyte mobo's they often give you the wrong temp, i am not sure y this is but i have read some things about this. easytune 4 says that my cpu is about 5c more than mbm5 and for case easytune 4 says about 8c more then mbm5 so i think i will believe the temps for mbm5 but still they seem high for such a good heatsink but i guess i will have to see about the as5 200hours maybe after that they will start droping a few c, that would be nice.

OP
Andy82

Andy82

ok what is the answer to this while i was playing battlefield 1942 my temps were at 44c cpu and 36c case, this didnt really make a whole lot of since to me since when i was just surfing the web and such my cpu temp was at 47c and 35c case. Why would they lower when i am playing a game. I got the readings off of mbm5.

Lifthanger

I think there is no good answer for this.. maybe battlefield is very gpu dependant, and while playing your ambient temperature dropped some degrees..

My temps dropped today, as I cut 5 little holes into my case :D

120mm at the front intake
f1.jpg

2*92mm side intake over cpu
f2.jpg

2*80mm back blow
f3.jpg

lol at full speed my temps are constant 32 system. 45C idle and 48C after 30 min prime95... little problem, I feel like a passenger in a 747 jetplane. :-/
but at 7V the whole thing is just right. with 33sys and 47C idle 51C load
I've reseated the heatsink, which may haev helped, too. I've left the spacers on, though.
all temps are at 11*205 2260MHz @ 1,61V
the heatsink is really cool, so I hope this break-in will drop the temps.
If nothing helps, I'll get these spacers off.

are your temps more logical in the meantime?

CheeZeTM

My PC runs at about 89*f (CPU) idle, never measure it max, it is 93* right now, the side of it is off for cleaning(getting my filters in soon) mobo is 37*c/89*f right now
voltages.
11.977v +/- .5v
05.080v steady
03.312v steady
01.600v +/- .4v

CPU is a 2.4Ghzc [email protected]/3 (HT causes a 1mhz off thing)

Ducatti

Check my sig for system specs/performance. I am blessed with the ability to keep the Texas heat out (AC set to 74F 24/7) so my ambient is pretty low to begin with..