• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ever happened to Plextor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

Plextor ODDs used to be as common as ugly beige towers. They were my go to choice for burning CDs and were as reliable as a rock. I can only find two (one refurb) on newegg and I'm not a fan of Lite Off. Any audio guys here that can recommend a good burner? I need an internal DVD/CD burner for burning high quality CDs. White would be nice but nigh on impossible. I can paint it if I have to.

I dunno about Nero, But my dad and grandpa used it all the time, Maybe check it out?

Plextor made the hardware, the actual optical drive itself. The ones I had would burn discs that lesser drives considered coasters and the sound quality was great. Unfortunately mine are long gone, and my last two motherboards don't have IDE. LOL

Yup. That's the only one I could find. They were a big deal 10 years ago, now they're down to one model on newegg. Probably a sign that I'm getting old, being shocked that things change over a decade. :facepalm:

Yup. That's the only one I could find. They were a big deal 10 years ago, now they're down to one model on newegg. Probably a sign that I'm getting old, being shocked that things change over a decade. :facepalm:

Ya go to Plextor and all they have is that single model :shrug:

Time to look at other brands. LG is a good one to eye. They have thier do-it-all Blu-ray burners, though they are not cheap.

Time to look at other brands. LG is a good one to eye. They have thier do-it-all Blu-ray burners, though they are not cheap.

I know one drive does not make a good sample size but Samsung seems to make solid drives as well. Had a USB bluray reader/DVD burner for years that I beat like it owes me money and it's still running like the day I took it out of the box. No coasters, no shady writes, one burn = one working disc.

I use LG and Samsung, because they are quiet!!!!!
the only coasters I have made with them are my fault.

There are specific features to be considered when you're looking for good audio ripping/recording drives (e.g. no silent error correction, actually returning error bits in the stream instead of guessing a correct bit, not caching anything, etc.) and very few SATA drives have those features.

Yup. My favorite burners were all IDE. I may have to throw some parts together for an IDE rig and find an old Plextor. I certainly have enough parts to do so. In fact, I have too many old parts. Several Athlons, a Phenom X4, etc., and a few mobos. It's a shame I spent all that money on my last rig, and a lot more on the one I'm building, and neither one can burn a decent sounding CD. And without buying an external DAC equivalent to my CD player I'm screwed on sound quality. Bummer.

I had forgotten about Pioneer. They make decent DVD players, etc.. Burning a good audio CD takes a special ODD, but Pioneer would be a fine place to start looking.

I've tried many burners and my LG's that I use and have used are the best, even the SATA burner.

I forgot about them. I must be getting old. OK, I am getting old and I shouldn't act surprised. LOL

The only reason i remember adapters exist is cause im too lazy to switch monitors when testing the GTX460 lol (It doesnt have a VGA port and my main screen doesnt have a DVI port, Lol.)

Alaric if you wanna pay shipping I have a bunch of old IDE Drives. I could send one your way. You'd just need to run it on an IDE rig or pick up an adapter. MicroCenter carries them.

Any Plextors? All of the mid range and up Plextors I've used burned CDs I used as reference material when shopping for audio gear. A friend of mine used them to audition brands including, but not limited to, Conrad Johnson, Focal, Revel, McCormack, Mark Levinson, etc.. They were that good. I'm definitely interested in any Plextors you may have. I have some old chips laying around I can trade. :) Provided you're interested in a Lima core Athlon 3800+ or a first gen Phenom X4 9850. LOL I think I have a Phenom X3 8-something, too.

Back