What exactly is the hope with buying a videocard for parts/not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Do people figure they can fix the videocards they buy for parts/not working? I suppose it's possible, I got an electronics tech to get my busted 1080ti working, but I already knew what parts were missing (a cap and a transistor).

Tech Tweaker

Do people figure they can fix the videocards they buy for parts/not working? I suppose it's possible, I got an electronics tech to get my busted 1080ti working, but I already knew what parts were missing (a cap and a transistor).
Either to repair it themselves or have someone they know repair it, or have some shop/company skilled in hardware repair do so.

Or hope to get an RMA with the manufacturer to have it repaired or replaced.

These are the only likely scenarios I've heard of before.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Overclockers mobile app

magellan

@Tech Tweaker
If you're not the original purchaser isn't an RMA an impossibility these days? Especially if you don't have the original purchase receipt.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member

Many bricked cards can be recovered but most don't know how. Also, broken/dead fans are common with GPUs so it might be cheaper to buy a dead GPU and swap coolers.

mackerel

I sold a faulty 1070 earlier this year to a repairer. Described the fault (unstable no matter what I tried) and they said it was likely the GPU itself was dead, but they could salvage/reuse the rest of the bits as spares. I can't verify if that is true or not but took it anyway since it was essentially junk to me.