• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What fittings for an 89 camaro heatercore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krelian

Registered
I just bought an 89 camaro heatercore for use with my system, but what I didn't realize is that it has a 5/8" inlet and a 3/4" outlet.

Do I need smooth fitting reducers/couplers for soldering, or can I use the threaded barb fittings like they have at Becooling and Dtekcustoms?

Dodge Viper took a standard barb and smooth the thread area off and soldered the barbs in.

I used this method though:
fittingrad.jpg

Don't know the size as it looks like nobody sells these anymore.

I also dremmeled off the leads, then used JB weld and 3/8" Hose barbs with 1/4" NPT thread. It worked great, and took less than 10 minutes.
hc.jpg

I carried my heater-core rad (had some wierd smooth clamp fittings that don't match any real-world fixtures) into Home Depot and started stuffing fittings in there until I found one that fit the best. Sanded the rad clean with a dremel & brushed on a little flux for prep before jamming the fittings in. I then sweatted in some lead/tin solder with a blowtorch which worked absolutely perfectly. I'd highly recommend this to anyone. Effective and fun!

rad-solder.jpg

Note: this was just a wet-test and even though there was no leaking, I DID put pipe clamps on there before I mounted it in my PC ;)

i just took some 5/8 OD copper pipe, cut 2 2inch lengths of it with my pipe cutter, and desoldered the old ones and soldered in the new ones, the ID is more than 1/2inch

lead/tin solder melts a whole lot easier than lead-free... and I'm, frankly, not too worried about getting trace heavy metals in my system, but there's no reason you *have* to use the lead solder.

I Did pretty much the same thing as maskedgeek except I took it a step further and soldered on two threaded female adapters (like mfpmax) and then just screwed the barbs on..
HeaterCore finished.JPG

Last edited:
Back