• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What gnome Theme shoud I try

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

So with my recent trend of ubuntu I'm trying to make the desktop more ascetically pleasing. It seems alot of the themes out there are pretty nasty looking, or osx clones. I need help finding a good theme that is easy on the eyes (perferably not an overly dark theme, but I will consider all)

I know you just asked for themes but have you ever thought of trying Linux Mint?

I thought about it, but I'm not much of a fan of the layout of it. Now that I got Ubuntu to work just fine (cost 70 bucks for a new 1tb hard drive) I would like to stick to what I know

Now, not saying I won't try it in the future, but right now I'm satisfied with ubuntu

Well I havn't treid any different themes as of yet but just watch what you doing if you change the windows managers. I changed from Compiz to metacity as compiz and the latest nVidia drivers have problems when accessing Ubuntu using VMC for remote access. I then tried a few other window managers and ended up buggering it up and having to do a re-install. Just a word of warning. :)

ubuntu santanic is cool imho a great mod and its fun to see peoples reaction (great rock sounds as well)

I thought Muddoctor got the one yesterday?

Start by adding the package themes, (there's a lot and it's easy to do)
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-themes gnome-themes-extras gnome-themes-more gnome-themes-selected gnome-theme-gilouche gnome-art

I thought Muddoctor got the one yesterday?

Start by adding the package themes, (there's a lot and it's easy to do)
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-themes gnome-themes-extras gnome-themes-more gnome-themes-selected gnome-theme-gilouche gnome-art

That's what I'm looking for
Any more commands that'll give me more :D
Thanks, also how do I get the clear Terminal

yopu can also pull up synaptic and serch for themes and icon themes (that's how i got those originally)
No clue on the clear terminal though.

also how do I get the clear Terminal

Right click the terminal window, select edit profiles, select appearance

This is how it is done in Terminator terminal (its a terminal based on Gnome Terminal which allows you to use split terminal screens) as such its very likely the same in the standard Gnome terminal

For the terminal being translucent. I like using White on Black. Which is:
Terminal | Edit | Profile Preferences | Colors | Built in Schemes | drop down colors

Then I move over a tab or two. Selecting: Background | Transparent background radio button (round clicky thing)
Use the sliders to adjust it to your liking. I like a tad over 50%.

I find this gives me enough to see through the terminal, Yet enough substance to read the terminal I am working with. I have used other (custom) colors and levels of opaque. The white on black seems to fit more color schemes too.
If you feel sick in the head and like to blind yourself. Try blue on pink... ^ shutters that my wife liked that... and used it.

If your oing the route of a dock. Try Gnome-Do. Myself I really dig it. The way they do the autohide works pretty darn good. For some reason, the docky is part of how I use Linux now. For Docky to work, past Gnome-Do, you need composting. It is cool enough to justify the overhead for resources.

I like the default theme. I change all the colors(usually browns and oranges), but in the end it's still default.

Back