• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happened to RAM prices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TaCoSwInDeZ

My only guess is its because of DDR3 becoming the standard but that doesn't make much sense because in the past, these price increases weren't this fast.

EDIT - I didn't realize it till just now but at the top of that list is my exact corsair memory kit that I bought this same month last year for only $119!!. That's crazy lol.

Bobnova

All prices went up, including DDR3.
Of course, prices for almost every other part have gone up as well.
CPUs and PSUs are the only things that seem to be staying the same price.

Vipersfate

Yeah. The RAM that is currently in my desktop, I picked up for 35 bucks. Now it's about 120. It's crazy how it's happened. I wonder if it's because the holidays are coming up.

I read somewhere on another forum that the prices are getting high because shelf space costs money, and people just aren't buying as much DDR2 as they used to.

OP
kkpudge7

kkpudge7

I have no idea what happened... I'm getting ready to do a ~$400 budget build for a customer soon, and this is really going to make the task more difficult to keep in their price range :bang head

ratbuddy

RAM makers got sick of selling their chips at (or even below) cost and decided to cut way back on production. We're seeing the results now. We'll see the price fixing lawsuit and settlement going into some lucky lawyer's pocket in about 5 years.

linkin93

I think prices have gone up because they hit rock bottom a while ago. it's standard economics really.
Then again, you can still find great deals on memory if you look around.

Oroka Sempai

Yeah, I noticed that recently. I got 4 2GB DDR2 sticks for $25 each about a year ago just to see if there would be a big difference in Vista between 2, 4, and 8GB (not much FYI).

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Many factors, but there are two that probably have had the biggest impact.

The first is that the production was cut, in order to better match demand and supply and this has resulted in a constant increase in prices over the last 3-4 months (prices started going up around July, or so). If you search in the Memory section going back to that time frame and forward you will find several threads on this topic. In those threads I've linked to industry articles, as well as posts from some of the OCZ guys warning how these increases in the cost of ICs was going to increase the cost at the retail level. They are still relatively low, compared to when a 2x512MB kit of TCCD would set you back in excess of $300, but they are on the rise. Those that bought DDR3 when it first came out would probably tell you that they are still low.

The other factor, to a certain extent, is the devaluation of the dollar against other major currencies. It makes our products cheaper to those overseas, however increases the costs of imported goods to us. I won't go into it beyond that comment so as to not turn this into a political flame war.

DDR and DDR2 prices are higher as well, but that is tied pretty much to a lack, or significant reduction in production, respectively, due to the switchover to DDR3. This is the typical pattern for EOL parts. The drop in price as the newer stuff comes out, then they start to rise as the availability becomes very limited...just for grins try pricing a NIB PIII.

freeagent

Good call Reefa.

I was just going to say its possibly because the american dollar is tanking.

I havent seen our dollar as high as it is compared to the U.S. ever..

Just a few days ago we were at 107 to 100 u.s. :eek:

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Good call Reefa.

eaglescouter gets the nod for the currency comment, I was just concurring with him in my post. I do believe that this contributes, but in my opinion, is only secondary. If it was the major reason, then ram prices would be steady throughout the world, and only higher in the US. I don't believe that it the case, although I could be wrong.

I still believe that the biggest reason for the retail price increases is due to a better matching of IC production with demand by the likes of Samsung, Elpida, Micron, etc.

vgta88

what ratbuddy said is true, as well as reefa_madness. i'm gonna hate this but i guess i have to note those trends.

i think it's mostly due to the cutback in supply. i've read a few articles saying how when ddr2 first came out they were producing way too much so that's why everything was so cheap. It was sort of unnatural to begin with but still hate the market corrections.

you can see these trends with gas and the fluctuating economy.\

Good call Reefa.

oh please...ever? i believe we were at $1.00 cad to $1.10 usd in 07. iirc it was because of the bank closures(too many loans, issued and defaulted, for housing market).

and then usa got some stock market scandal with Bernard Madoff... along with gm bail outs. then AIG, i forgot what happened there. I believe this also affected the canadian steel industry.

Last edited:

freeagent

^^ I know, I buy from OCF alot, and most of the member are from the states.. I keep an eye on the currency exchange ;)

There is a huge difference between 1.10 and 107.53 ;)

And sorry eaglescouter! I was just peruseing the thread quickly when I saw reefas comment :thup:

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Back during the summer I helped a friend of mine find some Crucial 2GB DDR3-1333 sticks with Micron D9KPT chips.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4125799#post4125799

At the time, he bought 4 sticks for $104, shipped. Today these same modules are $48 each, before shipping so they have basically doubled in price in about 4 months. I don't think that they continue to climb quite as much, but that sure has been one steep jump in a very short time frame.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA25406

Shiggity

Many factors, but there are two that probably have had the biggest impact.

The first is that the production was cut, in order to better match demand and supply and this has resulted in a constant increase in prices over the last 3-4 months (prices started going up around July, or so). If you search in the Memory section going back to that time frame and forward you will find several threads on this topic. In those threads I've linked to industry articles, as well as posts from some of the OCZ guys warning how these increases in the cost of ICs was going to increase the cost at the retail level. They are still relatively low, compared to when a 2x512MB kit of TCCD would set you back in excess of $300, but they are on the rise. Those that bought DDR3 when it first came out would probably tell you that they are still low.

The other factor, to a certain extent, is the devaluation of the dollar against other major currencies. It makes our products cheaper to those overseas, however increases the costs of imported goods to us. I won't go into it beyond that comment so as to not turn this into a political flame war.

DDR and DDR2 prices are higher as well, but that is tied pretty much to a lack, or significant reduction in production, respectively, due to the switchover to DDR3. This is the typical pattern for EOL parts. The drop in price as the newer stuff comes out, then they start to rise as the availability becomes very limited...just for grins try pricing a NIB PIII.

Good points sir.

Also I would like to add that some companies are retooling their factories and adding more capacity for NAND Flash production, that was previously making DDR modules.

The demand for NAND Flash is going up so much faster than any kind of DDR, can't blame 'em.

A little bit off topic - If these trends continue, we might see some kind of NAND flash solution that totally replaces DDR memory. While nand flash is considerably slower right now, the density can scale much higher for less money. Memory density : cost could supersede memory speed : cost soon.

Last edited: