• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happens when somebody DOES find aliens???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thesoupnazi

Registered
What happens when somebody's running SETI and it actually does detect something? Do you get a cookie?

Cy

The full ramifications of such a discovery are not yet know. Its never happened before. :) If it turned out to be "real" then I would image you would take your place in the history books and be famous. Wealth might not follow but hey, you can't have everything. :) At the very least I'm sure you would get a life sized stuffed E.T.

Cy

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
I have undertaken and toiled mightily at the aforementioned project in the spirit of magnanimity that precludes all such endeavors of vast importance and insignificant compensation…

… as Juan says, I just here for the babes…

and, perhaps, a cookie… :rolleyes:

TC

Senior Seti Addict
How about an alien designed computer that gets a few million 3D marks, looks about like an mp3 player, and runs for a few years on a watch battery :D

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
all i really wish besides history spot and such and such is hopfully, someone will compensate my seti expense & the electric bill too....:p

oh, a o/c'ed Alient (non-ware!) computer that will do "ultra [email protected] WU" faster will be nice!!

don't forget, we might find "a" alien civilization, but there could be many many more out there.....included ourself(!).....

just read the a very very interesting article from Scientific American:

Parallel Universes: Not just a staple of science fiction, other universes are a direct implication of cosmological observations
Is there a copy of you reading this article? A person who is not you but who lives on a planet called Earth, with misty mountains, fertile fields and sprawling cities, in a solar system with eight other planets? The life of this person has been identical to yours in every respect. But perhaps he or she now decides to put down this article without finishing it, while you read on.

the magazine itself has more pics., and easier to understand than the online version.

Tecumseh

I asked this very question (Thread Topic) of Jill Tarter a few
years ago. She is the brilliant director of SETI Research.
The answer was that they would immediately take steps
for verification by calling colleagues all over the planet
who had the right equipment to confirm the signal. And,
no, they don't have to call the government first. :D

metra

Actually around a hundred or so units get selected out of the bunch for further testing. Im pretty sure this testing is done by computers at the SETI laboratories. So you might not even know that your work unit was the one picked to get tested further.

Haha it would be funny if you did find aliens then a big msg box pop ups up and it says "YOUVE FOUND ALIENS! Congratulations!". But that would never happen..