• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What has become of AMD (and this section)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

Meh, it's really boring in the AMD section these days. I remember the K8/P4 days where you'd see enthusiasts from both sides pushing their chips to the max and showing off in whatever area they excelled. Those 50% + OCs on Athlons were legendary too.

But nowadays I've pretty much lost all my faith in AMD. It's like they've lost that "special something" they used to have, either be it the game performance or OCability, it's the reason you were drawn to their CPUs.

Their current chips just seem like chicken feed and peanuts to me. Intel offers me everything a Phenom does and the magnitude of the advantage is so huge, it's ridiculous.

But what really makes me sad is that you don't see the competition from both sides like there used to be. From my point of view, AMD just goes around with the attitude "Yeah, we only sell average stuff - if you want something special, go with the competition".

Apart from some members, the complete community of AMD enthusiasts that made us proud of our hardware in head to head comparisons has completely disappeared. All I saw here the last 2 years was wishful thinking about AMD bringing a Conroe Killer, and all I got was, for it's time, a mediocre weld of two dual K8 chips. Phenom was such a disappointment, there is really no word to describe it :bang head. IMHO, it seems these chips have found such a deep love with AMD users, that 80% of the threads I see in this section are of guys showing their OCs on K8 retro machines. 10% are of problematic Phenom rigs, and the rest are news of guys getting 20% OCs out of them :screwy:.

I have a feeling that Deneb is not going to meet general expectations, but we'll have to wait and see that. If we want to see more guys back in the AMD section, then it'd better OC up to 4 Ghz and match C2D performance while Nehalem remains out of reach for desktop users.

From the recent news, it seems the Nehalem release is really close. If AMD doesn't release Deneb soon as weel, then Nehalem will eventually displace C2D from extreme and enthusiast segment to mainstream, and imagine AMD still having to compete with current 45nm C2D mainstream products in the budget market in the future with their 65nm Phenoms... Neha is going to endanger the budget and server segments where AMD still makes some profit now.

If all fails - then "Ati" might take over AMD and keep developing graphic solutions and GPGPU while abandoning general purpose x86.

Sry for the nostalgy guys, but after being idle for so much time, I just needed to get rid of my gripes concering the actual situation of AMD. It just seems to me as if the "Judgement day" were drawing near :santa2:.

dan

Unless you are talking about a build for a true AMD zealot or Intel hater, it's just hard to recommend a Phenom versus a Q6600 for a build. You can get an oem Q6600 for around $180 and even the worst overclocking Q6600 will run rings around 99.99% of the Phenoms made as far as overclocking goes. And be more energy efficient about it too. And the Intel chipset motherboards seem to be more stable with a Q than most boards running a Phenom (except maybe the newest series with the 750 SB) when overclocking. Unlike some of the people here, I don't commit myself to just one processor company, but rather buy what performs best for my purpose for the money. And the last few years it has been Intel for me.

Unless you are talking about a build for a true AMD zealot or Intel hater, it's just hard to recommend a Phenom versus a Q6600 for a build. You can get an oem Q6600 for around $180 and even the worst overclocking Q6600 will run rings around 99.99% of the Phenoms made as far as overclocking goes. And be more energy efficient about it too. And the Intel chipset motherboards seem to be more stable with a Q than most boards running a Phenom (except maybe the newest series with the 750 SB) when overclocking. Unlike some of the people here, I don't commit myself to just one processor company, but rather buy what performs best for my purpose for the money. And the last few years it has been Intel for me.

Same here, I only spend my money on the best Price : Performance.

I too am hoping AMD will get its *** in gear and make something great.
I used to be a big fan, but over the past 2 or 3 years, i'm left shaking my head.

I still like my amd rig over my other 2 intel systems atm so I guess I just haven't fully engaged yet.

Coudln't care less man. I buy whatever gives me the best value for money, based on this I think my next upgrade will be to an Intel platform. AMD could have a better product but if Intel were cheaper for X level of performance I'll go that way and vice versa if AMD offered better value.

At present I can't see myself buying AMD again for a very long time. Their video cards rock at the moment though :cool:

The only company I actively dislike is nVidia. Having said that, if they offer a good product at the right price point I'll buy their stuff too :p

The only reason I went with a Phenom system for a while was to run quad-CF, but I ran out of money for the video cards :(

I wouldn't hesitate a sec in buying an Intel rig, but with no competition, OCing is not half of what it used to be. Man, do I miss the old days :cry:.
dan

Heck, I think my next setup will be one of those 2.5GHz dual core Pentiums..... Meant to overclock pretty easily up to 4GHz and they're cheap too. Performance on a budget :p

Heck, I think my next setup will be one of those 2.5GHz dual core Pentiums..... Meant to overclock pretty easily up to 4GHz and they're cheap too. Performance on a budget :p

Yeah, I'm seriously considering building a E7200 rig, those things OC like crazy and are dirt cheap.

Though the 65nm quads have really gone down in price as well :cool:

dan

I only need to get CPU, RAM and Mobo. I'm thinking the following would make a nice upgrade:

2.5GHz Pentium Dual Core E5200 - http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=13&bid=2&sid=33176 $118
Asus P5K-SE-EPU Mainboard - http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=106&bid=2&sid=31023 - $101
4GB Team Dark PC8500 RAM (2x 2GB) - http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=111&bid=2&sid=31497 - $139

Might get it in a month or two, will only get cheaper. I love that fact that both Gigabyte and Asus now make boards with solid state caps, much better for Australian conditions :beer:

I (shamefully) bought a 6600. Yea it clocks with the best of them to 3300 on low 1.325 volts but I still prefer the AMD architecture. I bought Phenoms and both were a little disappointing but I run 64bit OSes and there are some issues with Win64 so OCing is just out for now. I still like the performance for my development work. I looked at Xeons and found nothing like the quad socket F Opterons. Just happened to notice someone on fleebay selling 8347 optis for a steal so I bought four of them and a Tyan Thunder 4S mobo. It's far flung to think of using 16cores but it make a world of difference when running proggys that eat up a lot of time I'll post pics of the build when I get a chance. I actually started this project a year ago but the cost was prohibitive. I too don't see Denni as a savior for AMD but I think people we might be surprised by some better performance just not real big clocks. I'm in for the long haul even if I'm the last one off, I'll hang on for the ride. "Last one off, leave the lights ON, they'll be back"!

Sad for AMD. Only fools buy AMD these days. Bad marketing, bad processor, low performance, terrible motherboard options, AMD fail their exam. Consumer give them zero. Before AMD very fast, smash Pentium4. Now, AMD looks best on keychains. Lucky that ATI is doing excellent.

Sad for AMD. Only fools buy AMD these days. Bad marketing, bad processor, low performance, terrible motherboard options, AMD fail their exam. Consumer give them zero. Before AMD very fast, smash Pentium4. Now, AMD looks best on keychains. Lucky that ATI is doing excellent.

I don't think I'd call their achitecture bad, just not as good as Intel's. Unfortunately for them, when Intel has the manufacturing capacity and engineering resources they do then they can effectively cover the entire markets requirements relegating AMD to the budget low performance section.

I think ATI is probably the only part of AMD making a profit these days. Not the consumer division of course :(

I don't think I'd call their achitecture bad, just not as good as Intel's. Unfortunately for them, when Intel has the manufacturing capacity and engineering resources they do then they can effectively cover the entire markets requirements relegating AMD to the budget low performance section.

I think ATI is probably the only part of AMD making a profit these days. Not the consumer division of course :(

Exactly.

And if anything AMD´s arch has so much headroom for improvement, its sickening to see them be plunged into the dark just cause the other company is bigger.

If all fails - then "Ati" might take over AMD and keep developing graphic solutions and GPGPU while abandoning general purpose x86.

Sry for the nostalgy guys, but after being idle for so much time, I just needed to get rid of my gripes concering the actual situation of AMD. It just seems to me as if the "Judgement day" were drawing near :santa2:.

well considering x86 will eventually die... does it matter?

Intel will not support SSE5 nor go for a middle ground on it. well some of it remains to be seen, i believe. where is the attitude problem? is it amd Biased or Intel Biased. Intel took the short route to new x86 technology implementation while AMD went with a hardware redesign that cost them quite some time. a product due for mid 07 at most, ended up fully operational by 1-2q 08 thus their 6 month product innovation "Play", needed to keep up with intel tech and performance, was damaged.

i praise their try, and hope a rabbit will be pulled out of the hat.

Back