• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What hd offers more bang for the buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueboy1986

i was looking for a hd cuz i my old one died. i was thinking of buying one that offers alot of storage and isnt all that expensive. also am takeing into considertaion the quality to a certain degree. i just plan on getting a hd to store alot of music and huge video files.

What hd would be the best?
i was thinking of hitachi is that reliable?

The only HDD manufacturer that I have a lot of experience with is Seagate, which I would recommend to anyone. I have had a 30GB Barracuda (which I had for two years, and then sold it on a year ago and to my knowledge it still works perfectly, as I havent had any complaints). I currently have two 40GB Seagate Barracudas, both near silent and I have never had a problem with them.

I've personally found that the Hitachi/IBM 120GXP is a very reliable drive. I would definitely recommend it...very good performance too. Pretty quiet...no Barracuda, but not bad at all.

i like the maxtor 80gb 8mb, those are generally the best performance/price and are osme of the most reliable hard drives i have ever delt with.

o yea i forgot to mention that i have a p4p800 mobo. i dont wanna buy any extra things that would require me to connect my new hd. (last time i had to buy a new video card cuz my old one wouldnt fit:eh?: )

Seagate drives are probably the quietest; that's their strong point.

You might be able to quiet your dell drive with acoustic management. This is software that adjusts settings in the hard drive to make it run more quietly, but it does slow the drive somewhat. results vary.

DayUSeX said:
i like the maxtor 80gb 8mb, those are generally the best performance/price and are osme of the most reliable hard drives i have ever delt with.

I agree. I have 2x40 and 1x60 from Maxtor. I know many other happy maxtor owners. Good quality/price ratio. And they are very quiet... My next HD will be a Maxtor too..

I had bad memorys with Maxtor HDD's, the last one i had died after 3 days.... then i got a replacement what died straight away.... and so i got a WD SE 80 Drive and i have loved it since..... fast with reliability.... going to get 2x120GB SE's for christmas... :)

Seagates are quiet with the sacrafice of some performance...

Maxtors just die whenever they feel like it...

Western Digital are great if you need big storage with performance... sound is sacraficed a little bit... but i cannot hear mine unless i ake the side cover off....

IBM and Hitachi i had no experience with....

I have 2 SATA Barracuda's RAID-0. They hardly make a noise, also good documentation and easy to install price was not too bad either. Though I have only just built my system I will not vouch for there lifespan. Talk to me in a year or two.

Back