• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What if AMD 6000 series doesn't match up or beat Nvidia's 3000 series?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Watcha gonna do?

• Going from RED to GREEN no matter what

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • If RED outperforms GREEN I'm going RED

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Always team RED

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Always team GREEN

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
But, but, but, but, 3090 performance. You could always try another mounting option.

BTW had to go back to 20.8.2 driver for my 5700XT. Two crashes today :-(

Bummer. I'm having Windows up-date fun myself. :mad: (stupid updates that won't install.)
Leave it to MS to make updates that won't... well, update.

The 3090 performance is only going to be 20-25% more than the 3080; not a hill I need to die on. And I don't even care about the price. What I am going to miss is the RAM. 24GB of that sweet sweet 6X ram verses 10GB. That is a big difference in apps that can use it. :(

What I fear is buying the 3080, then Nvidia releases the oddball 20GB 6X RAM equipped card SKU that someone found buried in the release spec sheet, that turns out to be a 3080 TI or something, to be named later.

As for 'mounting options'.. uh, not sure what 'options' you mean. Like, externally? :sly::shrug:
The case and motherboard both have physical limitations that can't be exceeded.

Sounds like you will need to wait at least until AMD release their specs. Might get lucky and Nvidia ups the RAM across the board.

Nevermind on the vertical GPU mount. I looked at the option for your case and it doesn't leave any room for other cards. It's more of a show display versus pushing it away from the motherboard allowing you to slide short cards underneath.

Attachments

• instgpuextra4_small.jpg
    instgpuextra4_small.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 354
  • instgpuextra3_small.jpg
    instgpuextra3_small.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 356
Sounds like you will need to wait at least until AMD release their specs. Might get lucky and Nvidia ups the RAM across the board.

Nevermind on the vertical GPU mount. I looked at the option for your case and it doesn't leave any room for other cards. It's more of a show display versus pushing it away from the motherboard allowing you to slide short cards underneath.

Yeah, Team Red was sadly never really an option anyway because of the suite of applications I need for work will only benefit from Team Green's offerings.

As for the case, I knew vertical was never an option, hence my confusion on your suggestion. Believe me, I've looked from every angle I can think of. (Besides, Vertical Video Cards is against my religion.)

This should help illustrate:

PCI Bay

PCI Bay 2

I meant wait for AMD to announce offering/price to hopefully drive Nvidia to release card with more RAM. Didn't insinuate that you filthy yourself by going red. LOL

Yeah, looks tight. Can you even slide in a card in the bottom slot with those fans?

I meant wait for AMD to announce offering/price to hopefully drive Nvidia to release card with more RAM. Didn't insinuate that you filthy yourself by going red. LOL

Yeah, looks tight. Can you even slide in a card in the bottom slot with those fans?

Nope. :D

I had 'hoped' there would be enough internal clearance to put the fans on the inside; but no go with the power supply there.

Eh, Nvidia's gunna ship wa Nvidia's gunna ship. I would be highly surprised if anything would 'push' them; product or schedule-wise.

If the AMD 6000's don't compete, Nvidia will keep the trajectory they've planned. And if AMD pulls a sweet upset, I have a feeling they would counter in more 'cost-effective' ways, rather than bring a whole new variation to market.

Personally, I hope the 6000's do well, simple because my brother is in line for a hackintosh / Mac supported card update.
(If not a new one, then your same 5700XT that's been giving you headaches.)

Hey, but if like you say and Green team does answer with a 3080TI with 20GB... well, that just means I'll have a new 3080 for sale early. :D Could be a win-win either way.

5700XTs on eBay for $300ish shipped... Buy it now price.

If you want a spacious but not really big case then Lian-Li O11 in any version is good and not so expensive. Works well as a " vertical benchtable" too as its build is not much different, just closed. Can install up to 3x 360mm rads and really long graphics cards.

Right now I have to finish tests on my new laptop as I purchased one with Ryzen 4800H+GTX1660Ti and for a month I was only testing RAM/SSD and modifying memory profiles. Maybe if I find some time then will post a 64GB SODIMM test with some OC results but not sure yet.
I wasn't even using the desktop test rig for over a month but once I finish with mobile components then I will back to the desktop and hopefully will be something new on the market as I wait on Ryzen 4000 and new, much faster graphics card at a reasonable TDP.

If you want a spacious but not really big case then Lian-Li O11 in any version is good and not so expensive. Works well as a " vertical benchtable" too as its build is not much different, just closed. Can install up to 3x 360mm rads and really long graphics cards.

I saw that one, and it was on my list during the 'research' phase. ( I only really upgrade computers once every decade or so. :D )
It's a great case, very popular. Not a fan (no pun of intended) of the modern styling newer cases that have of closed off/blocked front ends.

More of a 'air-cooling' guy myself. ;) And the Lancool II Mesh Performance I picked, has some of the best air flow numbers on cases this year. With the ND-15 Chromax Black and all fans on lowest, I get 29-30C at idle. (26C if I put the A/C on! Lol.) Water cooling on a 'work' rig, never ends well. Thanks for the suggestion though, that's a very good case. :thup:

5700XTs on eBay for $300ish shipped... Buy it now price.

I suggested it, but my bro is more of a 'new' with a 'warranty' kind of guy. :beer:

BTW had to go back to 20.8.2 driver for my 5700XT. Two crashes today :-(

Was it a "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" BSOD? (0x0000003b) That BSOD code is most likely a problem with the Adrenalin software. I got that error code, even with no BSOD displayed, I knew, because it was logged, which was before 20.5.1, when running Halo MCC, possibly an issue with changing focus, for example, alt-tabbing out then back in, or clicking on an overlay.

Was it a "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" BSOD? (0x0000003b) That BSOD code is most likely a problem with the Adrenalin software. I got that error code, even with no BSOD displayed, I knew, because it was logged, which was before 20.5.1, when running Halo MCC, possibly an issue with changing focus, for example, alt-tabbing out then back in, or clicking on an overlay.
That day it was 2 random system reboots. Other times it kicks me out of the game and gives me a driver crashed error.

The errors are too random to be anything else than driver issues. I'll be gaming for a few hours and can hear the fans screaming, case sides are warm. No issue. But, random times I will be a half hour or so into the game and bam... crash. Issues depend on how fun of a day the drivers are having. Since going to 20.8.3 I have had certain walls in Fortnite flickering. And Age of Empires had a few button color issues which worked itself out somehow.

It shouldn't be a PSU issue as when stressed the video card is pulling 195w according to Adrenalin software. I have a 1700 (65w TDP) 4 fans, 1 SSD and 2 internal drives. This system should be far from maxing out my 850w Corsair PSU.

It's frustrating when something crashes while playing Age of Empires...

When nVidia gets their asses in gear and contributes functional drivers to the Linux kernel, I'll consider buying an nVidia card for actual daily usage. Until then they exist for folding only, and only through second-hand discounts in the classifieds here :). Red all the way purely for the open sauce.

When nVidia gets their asses in gear and contributes functional drivers to the Linux kernel, I'll consider buying an nVidia card for actual daily usage. Until then they exist for folding only, and only through second-hand discounts in the classifieds here :). Red all the way purely for the open sauce.
Are your Linux drivers as buggy as they are for AMD? I want to switch to Linux but cannot due to not being able to run Fortnite easy anti cheat on Linux.

I didn't vote... my money goes to where the performance I need at a price I can stomach. Since AMD drivers are still in limbo for some, that would have mean leaning on Nvidia this time around... so NV to NV which is not a poll option. :thup:

IIRC, that usually screams GPU core instability.
Screams? Naa... possibly? Sure. If a driver is crashing, chances are its the driver if the GPU isn't overclocked. I'd look there before hardware, surely. :)

I didn't vote... my money goes to where the performance I need at a price I can stomach. Since AMD drivers are still in limbo for some, that would have mean leaning on Nvidia this time around... so NV to NV which is not a poll option. :thup:

Screams? Naa... possibly? Sure. If a driver is crashing, chances are its the driver if the GPU isn't overclocked. I'd look there before hardware, surely. :)
100% agreed. I'm not firmly in either camp. I will say the 1080 I have (thanks Joe) has been far better/more consistent for me compared to the 280/290/290xs that I had prior. Including by themselves and in crossfire.

For that reason unless AMD blows them out of the water in price, performance, power, noise, heat somehow I'll be sticking with nVidia.

IIRC, that usually screams GPU core instability.

It is a Thicc III which has high boost clocks. Doesn't overheat. Been doing this for a while. I am gonna roll back the driver to a 19.x.x and see how it goes.

This one driver roll back I have done has helped with crashes. I should have stayed with it.

NV to NV which is not a poll option. :thup:

:)

Always team green falls under that.

I know that this will hit many of you as a surprise. Which ever camp gets me the most bang for buck.... in F@H, is the team I'm going with. My gaming is probably just a small step from 3D solitaire so....

Here is some info that I have found out - from just looking :)
Nvidia's RTX-3080 = 8704 CUDA cores and 29.8 TFLOPS
AMD's PS5 Hardware Spec - This should be the low-end of their release - GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz, RDNA 2 architecture.
^ So if AMD releases a Top Dog 6800/6900-XT with 3x the hardware = 108 CU's at 2GHZ, 30+ TFLOPs ??
I don't know on the RT part BUT the PS5/XBox-X has RT from the RDNA 2 GPU?? I know AMD and Intel do RT on the CPU and you only need a 4 Core/threads CPU to play current games. The PS5 has a 8c/16t Zen 2 - so that would give 12 threads free to work on the RT problem.
NVidia has already hinted that Someone is going to go the software side and that their Hardware use of RT is superior??

Just checking up on the rumour mills, biggest navi (navi 21) has been claimed to go up to 80 CUs, and expected to be around 3080 class. The new xbox part is apparently more comparable to navi 22 and 3070.

The RT CPU part isn't making sense to me, got a link to that?

Back