• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What i'll be getting-- any advice appreciated!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mage_x

at christmas when ill have loads of money im getting a new computer so this is what im getting, if you would please post what would be better for me to buy over what i have said, do so!

nforce2, asus or chaintech? i just cant decide!

xp2400, or 2700? whats the difference in the way they OC? different steppings?

WD SE 8mb cache 80gig

i'll be keeping my battle axe of a gf3 and just wait until nv30

any advice please!

hassmh

Registered
Depending on whether Chaintech has the PCI lock, I'd say the ASUS will OC better. If Chaintech does have the lock, I'd have to wait for a review, as I haven't seen one yet. The ASUS is the way I'm leaning right now.

If you're between the 2400 and 2700, I'd go with the 2600 :D The 2600 with 333FSB to be precise. It's much cheaper than the 2700 and you're guaranteed a 333FSB right out of the box, whereas with the 2400 you can probably get there, but might need to unlock it and drop the multiplier.

Just my $.02

AMD'er

I just ordered the Leadtek K7NCR18D-Pro NForce2-ST board and the XP2000 chip...I was going to go higer on the chip but decided to wait a little longer. I really can't wait to see what this board is like. I've have kinda went out on a limb because I haven't seen to many reviews about this board, so if anyone esle is using it let me know..

AMDER

Kunaak

wait and see what Soyo Does.

if Abit really botchs thier NF2 like it looks like they will.
and Asus, only goes to 1.85 then theres no reason to not check out what Soyo does next.
they will obviously go to 1.85 as well with all the usual MB features, and it will look cooler.

at the moment, theres no real star of the NF2's in my opinion, each one is alittle worse then the last. lacking features you just should expect on a board.

hassmh

Registered
I believe to get the lower multipliers on a Tbred you need to connect a pair of bridges. I don't have one yet, so I don't really know.

Tipycol

AMD'er said:
I just ordered the Leadtek K7NCR18D-Pro NForce2-ST board and the XP2000 chip...I was going to go higer on the chip but decided to wait a little longer. I really can't wait to see what this board is like. I've have kinda went out on a limb because I haven't seen to many reviews about this board, so if anyone esle is using it let me know..

AMDER

I think that's one of the boards that don't have multiplier adjustments.