• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a good AIO for a 12900K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys what is a good AIO for a 12900K? I been looking at Amazon, BestBuy, and Newegg for a 360mm or 420mm AIO for my Fractal Design Torrent RGB and 12900K. I will be forced to place it at the front of the case.

It seems bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 can't handle it, not sure if my Noctua NH-D15 will until I get the brackets tomorrow. But I have a gut feeling I will need to get a proper AIO to make this work well enough for me.

Thanks!

My NH-D15 handles an 11700k no problem so I don't see a problem with the 12900k. I would put it on par with most AIOs out there these days with maybe a little more fan noise. Unless I'm mistaken most of the AIOs are made by the same couple manufacturers with different stickers so take your pick. I've personally used Corsair and Swiftech with success.

Thanks, guys I do have an LGA 1700 bracket coming in for the Noctua NH-D15 for tomorrow but keep in mind the 12900K is a monster with those extra cores, and boosting to 5.2GHz will increase temps. However, I did order the Corsair Retrofit screws for the LGA 1700 for my Corsair H115i Pro 280mm aio. Either way, I will get it going and testes before buying anything else.

If you have doubt about the NH-D15 than the Corsair 280mm will definitely not handle it imo. If anything it would be about the same or worse.

My NH-D15 handles an 11700k no problem so I don't see a problem with the 12900k. I would put it on par with most AIOs out there these days with maybe a little more fan noise. Unless I'm mistaken most of the AIOs are made by the same couple manufacturers with different stickers so take your pick. I've personally used Corsair and Swiftech with success.
If you have doubt about the NH-D15 than the Corsair 280mm will definitely not handle it imo. If anything it would be about the same or worse.

The NH-D15 is a beast for air, without a doubt... but it's a few C behind many 3x120mm AIOs and on par with good 2x120/140s. It will work but will also be a bit noisier in push/pull on heavy loads compared to a larger AIO as was said.

The PUMPS on most AIOs are made by Asetek, that is correct. But the radiators, fans, and cold plates are different, so performance varies between them, regardless of the pump. :)

Last edited:
Everything based on Asetek is good so count ASUS, ADATA, MSI, Fractal, NZXT, Phanteks, Thermaltake and EVGA too, if I'm right. There are more brands, I just don't remember all. Cold plates in most popular models are the same. The shape of the pump main cover, cold plate, and mounting is exactly the same, just additional covers/optional fans/LCD displays are different. The difference in cold plates is between 5, 6, and 7 gen of Asetek design. Everything since the end of 2021 should be 7th gen. Most brands are showing cold plates, and overall internal design in product features on their website. Most also have info about which Asetek gen they are using.
I like Asetek-based AIOs mainly because the pump is quiet, and some brands give 5 years of warranty, so have to be sure it will last long. Most other brands have a 2-year warranty.
Corsair AIOs are also good, but the OEM is different (there are some other manufacturers that use the same design but with different tops/RGB).

The main difference between these popular brands is radiators and fans. Radiators seem similar, but there are still some differences in results. Many brands are using radiators that can be found in Asetek branded AIOs, so let's say they are not even trying to improve anything over the reference design.
The main problem is usually to transfer the heat from the CPU die into the loop. Even the best AIO won't run below 90°C under full load with a 12900K/KS CPU. If you see ~90°C on 280 AIO, then it's still fine. Noctua NH-D15 may have 3-5°C worse results. On the other hand, you are probably not using the CPU under 100% load 24/7, so it doesn't matter much as in games or anything else, it will run at significantly lower temps. So it's like throttling and no throttling, and eventually quiet or loud work. Everything else shouldn't matter as it won't change anything if the CPU has 85°C or 95°C. In typical tasks, it will perform the same. What I mean is that you may spend $300 on better cooling, and you won't see the expected improvement with these latest Intel CPUs. If 280 AIO is not enough and you feel it's really far from expectations, then get a custom loop with dual rads or a thick 420mm push/pull.

So you guys were right, I got the bracket today for Noctua NH-D15 Chromax "NOCTUA NM-i17xx-MP83". I installed it and set things back up and "OMG" the temps are so much better. Temps never went pass 63C during Cinebench R23 Testing. lol Unlike when I had the "be quiet" cooler installed. XD even with the configuration I was trying to test last time they never went pass that temp before and would sit at 97C to 100C during the run. Sadly, that cooler is going back to Amazon and I am happy with Noctua NH-D15 finally I can see a cooler handle this chip well enough without going the AIO route.

Last edited:
I was wandering same thing as im about to order parts for my new build. I was thinking of getting EK AIO elite 360 for my 12900k. And just to add atm i got 5930k with NH-D15 and temps are atm 53C and 68 on full load

I was wandering same thing as im about to order parts for my new build. I was thinking of getting EK AIO elite 360 for my 12900k. And just to add atm i got 5930k with NH-D15 and temps are atm 53C and 68 on full load

Honestly unless you are planning to overclock crazy I would say buy the bracket from Amazon for $9.90 Noctua NM-i17xx-MP83 chromax.Black and use that instead. Then see if you need an aio or not since they are pretty expensive you can go that route but save your self some money for now. Here are my results from playing games, working with Unreal Engine and Audio Production for several hours. My office started with a 68F temp and got upto 75F-or-77F. Reason for my temps so high in the room was because I forgot to close my air vent and the furnace kicked in because it was a chilly day. So that added way more heat than my office in the basement normally get. Good luck with any decision you make but I am pretty happy with my results. I still haven't undervolt and overclocked the cpu yet.

iTXsgt7LDO.png

Honestly unless you are planning to overclock crazy I would say buy the bracket from Amazon for $9.90 Noctua NM-i17xx-MP83 chromax.Black and use that instead. Then see if you need an aio or not since they are pretty expensive you can go that route but save your self some money for now. Here are my results from playing games, working with Unreal Engine and Audio Production for several hours. My office started with a 68F temp and got upto 75F-or-77F. Reason for my temps so high in the room was because I forgot to close my air vent and the furnace kicked in because it was a chilly day. So that added way more heat than my office in the basement normally get. Good luck with any decision you make but I am pretty happy with my results. I still haven't undervolt and overclocked the cpu yet.

View attachment 359455
those are solid temps hmm will see think i will got with aio

Back