• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is best mobo,mem + fan to reliably OC my locked 2500+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On air, a locked desktop Barton tops out around 2.4-2.5 GHz (on average) at around 50 C. The Barton 2500+ has a locked multiplier of x11. As such, one would need a motherboard and memory that can run 220 - 230 MHz FSB so that the CPU would run at 2.42 - 2.53 GHz to match the average CPU overclocking target.

Nforce2 rev 2 motherboards such as NF7-S rev 2.0 or DFI Infinity Ultra should be able to deliver 220 - 230 MHz FSB in most cases. The NF7-S is probably cheaper but the DFI has a higher FSB bias.
You would need good PC3200/3500 memory modules also for that FSB frequency.
For air cooling, a SLK-947U or SP-97 (around $30 on sale) is a good choice. For overclocking, a ThermalTake SmartFan II or a Tornado 80 mm fan with fan control is reliable for high CFM and adjustable noise tradeoff.

But spending as little money as possible, as systems are moving to A64 platform, .... The motherboard, HSF are not compatible with A64 and becoming outdated as we speak, ....

This post was written for the locked Tbred B/Barton, before the availability of the mobile Barton which can be overclocked even higher.

Impact of Tbred B 1700+/1800+ DLT3C or Barton 2500+ w/ locked multiplier on overclocking (page 18)

Thanks mate - any more tips would be welcome.

PS. it needs to give a stable system which will not burn itself out within a year.

svc has the SLK948u for around 37. This Heat sink will work in a p4/a64/socket a mb

racpuc said:
svc has the SLK948u for around 37. This Heat sink will work in a p4/a64/socket a mb

Are you sure that the SLK-948U can be used for Socket A CPU (such as Tbred B/Barton) and motherboards?

I think for for Socket A, it requires a SLK-947U, and then it would need a different SLK-948U for A64 CPU and motherboards.

niteshs said:
read your nice guide but i could do with some product names

what mobo and mem should i get to best OC my locked 2500 barton on air?

also what fan, psu power (im running 2 dvdrws and a hdd)

will this system still be OK in a couple of years?

Given the current fast pace of technology change, no system can be considered to be able to last for years, unless the system is used for very computing undemanding tasks.

Assuming an average overclocking user who is looking for performance with good price. Since you only have a XP/Barton CPU and want to buy all the rest, I would suggest you spending minimum or even considering totally build a new A64 system within the next few months.

Motherboards are CPU specific. Fan, memory, PSU can probably be resued.

For motherboard used with locked Barton, either a ABIT NF7-S rev 2.0 board or a DFI Infinity Ultra is OK.

For fan, the ThermalTake Smart Fan II as starting.

PSU - either Fortron 530 W or Antec True Power 480W or Antec True Control 550 W are good.

Memory - PC3200/3500/4000 there are a few to choose from, also depends on your budget from $70 to $100+ per 512 MB. Modules with BH5 are hard to get. Sometimes you can find some inexpensive, good overclock memory from Kingston, e.g. PC3200/PC3500 CAS2 with BH5/CH5, PC3200 with Hynix BT D43 chips for $80/512 MB (250+ MHz CAS3 ?), PC4000 $130/512 MB (Samsung chips ?).

Last edited:
Thanks again

How about this one?

PcChips M848ALU

Last edited:
You can use the same spec as mine indicated in my rig. But my memory is definitely not the best. Since you are using a locked barton, you should spend a lot more money on your RAM. Personally, i will recommend you to go get a mobile. It o/c insane.

As for heatsink, the best right now is the Thermalright SP-97. if you want to go any cooler, you will have to go watercool. The downside to this heatsink is that it works best when your case lies on it's side. I do notice qa 4-5 degree celcius difference when my case is standing straight compare to lying sideways. The reason is because of the heatpipe that is build into the heatsink.

Your change will not be cheap.

Mobo Abit NF7 ~ $85
Mobile CPU ~ $110
Memory 1Gb ~ $180 - $300 (depends on the speed and where you buy them)
Heatsink SP-97 - $50 - $60
Vantec tornado fan - $10 - $15
Fan controller - $15 - $30

plus tax and shipping if applicable.

If your o/c is not stable at high voltage, you will probably need to change the power supply. A good one will cost you between $40 - $60.

All i can say is you get what you pay for. If you go cheap on your components, you may run into problems during overclocking.

Will the voltage settings need to be changed when going up to 200+fsb

depends on your CPU, and how many % you are o/c it over the stock speed? Chances are yes, you will have to. But there are people with the locked barton who o/c to 11*220 (3200XP) at stock voltage too. If you are doing minor o/c, your stock PS should be fine. Only if you are pushing really hard to the limits, you will have to upgrade all the components I mentioned in my previous post.

This is just my opinion. If you have to change so many items just to o/c, why don't you go the P4 way. The 2.4C core is only around $120 and people can o/c to 3.2Ghz pretty easily. It's stock HS can allow minor o/c around 300-500Mhz extra before you have to switch to those expensive HS. Personally, I recommend all my friends to go P4 way when they want to go the Athlon XP. For minor o/c, it is probably cheaper to go P4, since you won't have to change the HS. If they want to stay AMD, I will tell them to get the A64.

How far can you go with the retail HS + antec paste? (that's what i've got)

niteshs said:
How far can you go with the retail HS + antec paste? (that's what i've got)

If you are talking about the Athlons, you will have to change the heatsink if you overclock. AMD cpus do run hot.

If you are talking about the Pentium 4 C core, I believe you can overclock up to 400Mhz with the stock heatsink. But if you are refering to the Prescotts, the pentiums E core, i will definitely recommend you to change the heat sinks. The Prescotts run really really hot.

Back