• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is better, MAC or PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

I posted this in another section and didn't get many replies so i'd try it here.

I have a buddy that is a Mac nut. (also he is a liberal, smokes alot of pot, drives around with an Apple bumper sticker, and thinks "the man" is out to get him...) Typical of the whole Mac crowd. (suprisingly he is not gay and does not live on the North Side or Lincoln park)

He keeps telling me that Macs can display more colors and has some number he quotes all the time like 2,560,000 colors? Also he says that they can do way more calculations per second especially with the Dual processors. Whatever that means and is better than PCs. (I know that Macs can do more per cycle but PCs have more cycles but he claims that when you figure it out, the Dual Mac blows the PC away??)

All I know is that his computer is always crashing, is slow, can't play many games and the ones that he can, they crash more than mine, and is harder to operate with one mouse button. Still he non-stop complains about how Macs are so much better. Now I know that many Graphic Arts companies use Macs but I'm guessing that they still do because after so many years you get used to working with the same programs and even if the PCs became better it would be too annoying to switch. I have seen articles that came out recently, (I wish i could find the link to them again...) that compared Macs to PCs with the software and uses that Macs are known for and the P4 3.06 w/ht blew them out of the water.

Are Macs better computers overall? Do they display more colors and do more calculations?

Can someone post a link to a comparison webpage for the newest fastest PC vs the best Dual processor Mac so I can E-mail it to him and ruin his day. Thanks! I'm sick of hearing his nonsensical arguments because he is always trying to get my other buddies to buy a Mac for thier first computer.

XWRed1

32bit color is 16.7 million colors, which is a bit more than the 2 million you quoted from him. Macs and PCs can run with 32bit color.

nealric

My favorite quote concerning macs:

"mac users who claim that their macs are faster than pcs are so full of (s word) that they could double as septic tanks"
-Max pc after doing an extensive benchmark comparison

In all seriousness, I can see why some people use them. they are definetly a niche product. Its really not an apples to apples comparison.

As for me, I dont trust any computer I dont build myself- so macs are out of the question.

Maxvla

here you go: http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07_jul/features/cw_macvspc2.htm

somewhat aged but it only gets worse for the mac as time passes.

using a 2.53 SINGLE PROCESSOR Dell system a dual amd mp2000 and a dual mac g4 1ghz system.

the 2.53 owns just about every benchmark in the review considering the other two systems are dual processor while the intel is just a single.

add hyperthreading and another 500mhz in there for the p4 and it just becomes embarrasing for the other systems being compared.

CrashOveride

Apples:
Limited compatibility in MOST fields of software and hardware.
Limited upgradeability.
Looks Pimp!!!
Too easy to use.
arent they expensive?
PC's:
almost unlimited software and harware compatibility (because most programs are for PC and Mac or just PC).
Lots of upgradability.
can look Pimp but not stock.
can be easy to use or hard (depends on OS)
can be cheap or expensive

i would say PC's, and thats not even going into speed.

OP
TommyHolly

TommyHolly

NookieN, That is the article I read!!! Thanks, I was looking for that.

Of course he is going to say, "Whatever dude, the crappy PCs can't compete against a Dual 1.42 Ghz Mac and that test showed a older 1.25 Ghz." Then I would reply, that still would not make a difference seeing how 1.25 to 1.42 is only a 13% increase and the Mac was losing by almost 100% in many of the tests... Besides, the PCs just came out with a 800 FSB motherboard for the new P4s and that means faster Ram and everything."

heh heh heh I can't wait to send this to him. Mu ha ha ha

FrozenFears

I've used both and the single mouse button alone, without even having to benchmark the computers is enough to make me decide on a PC. gotta have that right click lol ;)

I've heard that macs are more stable or something like that, and thats why people use them for video editing/3d rendering etc, but since I like to play games and have my computer that function as more than a professional editing machine, PCs are the way to go, plus now with the development of HT technology and the benchmarks that are coming out I think the choice on which is "better" becomes pretty obvious. Theres always gonna be the Mac nuts though
In all seriousness, I can see why some people use them. they are definetly a niche product. Its really not an apples to apples comparison.
Well those people can use them if they want but I'll never use a mac over a PC.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I think there use to be a place for macs in office's and what have you...video editing etc but i really dont think they have any advantage anymore...800mhz p4 with HT simply owns anything apple puts out

pip

nealric said:
My favorite quote concerning macs:

"mac users who claim that their macs are faster than pcs are so full of (s word) that they could double as septic tanks"
-Max pc after doing an extensive benchmark comparison

As for me, I dont trust any computer I dont build myself- so macs are out of the question.

well the max pc one was my fravorite one but now your entire post is my favorite

CrashOveride

IceMan3928 said:
my favorite mac quote came from donny_paycheck:
Woman on mac commercial: "Oh, I can do everything with my mac that I could do with my PC."

me: "Oh ya? Right click bi***!!"

and play a game...

lmao!!!
but im sure she couldnt do much with a PC, check email, browse... and... um ya... i can do that with my old P1, people give those away...

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
First of all, I read that Apple HAD to hobble the new DP 1.25s with only 1MB L3 cache because the 1.42 couldn't beat it with equal cache, so . . .

Secondly, you can't make a DP P4. The Xeons are the only products (excluding Itanium) from Intel that do DP. While Xeons and P4s function similarly (or identically), P4s are not DP enabled.

Thirdly, I was going to produce that exact MaximumPC quote. ANd yes, it's 3 issues old, I believe; maybe 2.

Fourthly, while "oh yeah? Right-click, bi***" is funny, they DO make two button mice, which do right-click, which do bring up a menu, which can be accessed even without the mouse, so it's not like the menu doesn't exist. Apple just doesn't want to buttons. I use a two-button mouse, with a scroll wheel, on my Mac. And yes, my Mac is slow (of course it's also a 350G4, but still). Macs ARE generally more stable. The software situation isn't much of an issue, as there are equivalent programs for all the necessary software. Games themselves are a niche. If you want a game, you buy a gaming machine, be it a console, Mac, or PC. Just tell him they're not comparable machines and tell him to *explative* off, as this certainly isn't worth your time (or his).

Z

CrashOveride

htye do have a cool free os... but we have cool os's and some free ones (and maybe both but i havnt had much experince with the free ones... only today did i put Mandrake on a new computer i built:D)

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Forgive me, but what free OS do they have that we don't? OSX isn't free. And linux on a Mac is the same as linux on a PC (pretty much).

Z

cack01

Lets not forget that OSX is based off a linux* Kernel. Mac harware has been at a stand still for a long time now, thus the reason for trying to make deals with AMD. I think IBM is supposed to make their new chips now.

I actually got in an argument last week with a hardcore MAC person last week. I was installing drivers, and he asked me if I needed a DOS manual to help me out, I responded by saying "I can get you a UNIX book so you can figure out your OS or you can be confined to using the mighty blue apple at the top of the screen."

EDIT:
* This should read Unix not Linux.

Last edited: