• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is better, MAC or PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
zachj said:
I have that issue and took great pleasure in seeing the Mac get reemed. It's about f-ing time Apple does something to change that. I think we should all look forward to what Apple's gonna' do next. Should be interesting. I'll really enjoy seeing Hammer/Prescott/Opteron wale on the new Mac!

I swear, I'm really not a Mac fanboy. I know all the facts, I do.

I just won't stand and let people bash Macs (or the other way around). It's a silly thing to do. It doesn't work.

Z

I have nothing against mac (they are pretty slick looking)
I just dont like the avg, mac user or the mac lifestyle.

zachj said:
To your first post, what's your point?

To the second, there is no mac lifestyle.

Z

the first is that the person was bragging on how much macs are better than PCs faster, blah blah blah blah blah

then he owns a old *** imac and two PCs.

the 2nd post

Maybe not lifestyle but attitude. most mac users I have met are @$$***** . maybe its just me

I'm laughing as I read this, because I just remember reading this off of apple's website:

"The result? The dual 1.42GHz Power Mac G4 is 32 percent faster than the fastest PC on the market with a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor. Fact is, even the dual processor 1.25GHz Power Mac G4 system outperform the Pentium 4 by 23 percent. How, you might ask, can even the Power Mac G4 outperform a PC with a Pentium 4 processor running at more than twice the megahertz? "

What? twice the megahertz!? Yeah right. DUAL processors

...I need sleep...

That's been a problem for people ever since Apple started selling DP machines. They compair DPs to single processor machines using DP enabled apps. I don't support that either. On the other hand, they pawn their Power Macs off as pro-sumer/professional machines, so it's possible that they simply see the Power Mac as a more expensive home-user's machine, and dual Xeons and MPs are not consumer machines (in most of the world; not here). So they can, using their logic, compair them. It's ludicrous, of course, but still.

Forgive any spelling errors. It's early for me

Z

Here's a link with a decent comparison. The P4 3.06 SLAUGHTERED (their words) the Dual G4 Mac.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii2.htm

Here's a screenie of the results. Sorry for the lousy quality. Had to overcompress it to get it under 50k.

PC vs Mac.jpg

I would guess someones's already said this (i'm not reading the whole thing) but basically:

If you need to do image, sound, or video editing, or want a pc that looks sleek and cool out of the box, buy a mac (beware or price tag).

If you want a PC that works, runs software, playes games, or basically anything else, and CAN look nice after modding, buy a PC.

EDIT: also some people say macs are easier to use. I must say that the first time i used a mac (with mac OS-X in PC world) i got used to the interface very quickly, whereas i had to learn windows. Kinda reminds me of 3.1 with a sleeker interface........

Also isn't Mac OS unix based? I think it is, and therefore it'll be more stable (of course you could always install linux on a PC.....)

Last edited:
zachj - like your responses - but u might as well make al those points in any type of thread that has a comparison in 2 products :) - u likely already do though.

To me - personally - my own opinion - MAC's are useless for me - everything a MAC can do i can do on my PC and some better and faster.

My sister X bf had a g4 450 / 256mb and i had a pIII 533 -512mb @ the time we all lived together.

my comp was faster then his with photoshop, illustrator - dreamweaver all of the apps that most mac users - to my knowledge use. His MAC was often crashing - out of memory or some other error - where as my PC ran flawless. This was on MAC O/S 7.5 i recall, so was not the bets one.

As for current MAC's - i have nothing to say as i have no experience from them, i dont like many bench compariong to COMPLETLY different systems that were made for 2 different reasons really.

My main issue - was that it could not multitask for crap!

But yes, that is my experience - i would like to get a MAC a newer ones just to mess around with it to be familiar with it - can hurt any future job i may want!

If you just want to play around with a Mac, don't waste your money on a new one. Get one off of eBay like I did. I got a 350G4 with 768MB of RAM, 50GB (1x 40GB and 1x 10GB) hard drive space, DVD, etc. It's fast enough to run OSX well enough, but I strongly suggest you get a video card capable of Quartz Extreme graphics. The Rage isn't, so the graphics are jumpy. I have been searching for a 64MB Radeon 8500 which I can flash for a Mac, but none have the proper speeds (has to be 275/275).

Z

Virtual PC might do it - i know that there is a windows and mac versions o temulate windows or mac on the others O/S

I shall check out e-bay or the site that let you build them - i would liekly use it for graphics if i could get the apps i use,

You can't run OSX on a PC. Virtual PC only emulates/virtualizes an x86 machine.

It won't be worth it to use a Mac that's that old. Unless you're buying one that's less than 1.5 or so years old, you're doing yourself a disservice (sp).

There are no PPC emulators, so you cannot run anything above MacOS8. Using a program called SoftMac (from www.emulators.com) or VMware and a few others, you can emulate the MacOS, assuming you have a (legal) ROM. VPC only emulates Windows and Linux on either a Mac or a PC. PPC emulators have been a dream for a while. Emulators.com was working on it, but they've stopped work because of a legal issue or something like that.

Z

Well there's another one that will, so I just took a guess. Clearly I was wrong. I don't remember the name . . . I don't think it's as good, though.

Z

Back