• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is better??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scooter4n

What's better ATI Radeon 32 MB DDR VE, or ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB SDR??? They about same price, what about performance??
Thanks.

slim_lim

What kind of performance are you looking for? For games I can't recommend either. For 2d both should be fine, I'd probably pick thr 64sdr. If you want 3d, go with Radeon 7500 DDR or even 8500 if you have the $$$.

Cisco Kid

I may be wrong but I would pass on the 7000 version and go for the 32 DDr VE, I think the ve is the dual display version that may lack some features of the reg 32 DDR Radeon, and it may not be the best gaming card. Look at a 7500 they are cheap enough now

Better yet an 8500 for $135 US is a steal.

I am sure you will get more replies, pm funnyperson1 or zuckgou:)

Cisco Kid

OP
scooter4n

scooter4n

I'm building comp for 8 year old, for games and school. I ordered VE, but it's on the back order, but I can get 7000 local for about same price. I don't realy want to wait, and don't want to get bad stuff.
I love my 8500, but it's to mutch for 8 year old, and I don't want them to use my comp.

Tracert

Between those two cards, I would wait for the VE. They are the same GPU and the DDR and SDR are going to have about the same memory bandwidth so there should really not be much difference there.

The VE usually has two out puts(however it takes up an extra slot with a little adapter that connects to the main card) and TV out so it has the same performance but with more features.

You should be able to get the 7000 cheaper then the VE tho but if they are priced the same then the VE is the better buy.

By the way, they have great 2D but 3D is not the best. You would be much better off with a 7200 or even a 7500. You can get the 7500 for around $80 now which isn't much more then what you will pay for the VE and it will have same image quality with 3D performance of over 2 times that of the VE.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Not slagging ATI here, but why don't you pick up a tnt2 32 Meg card? For games and stuff it runs pretty well, and pretty cheap. By the time your kid out grows it will be time for you to upgrade your card and you can give him/ner the one you have now.

Arctic

well ATI have nice cards but bad driver supports... and if I had to go with ATI I wouldn't go for either of two card.. I would go with the 7500 or 8500... I like nvidia cuz they have greate driver support even though they're a bit over priced.

CSaddict

I just swapped out a radeon 8500 128 DDR for my GF pro gts 64 DDR. The drivers from ati wont even install correctly for me. Their support is crap.I like the Nvidia better. I got the card at Compusa as a mix up so I got it for 199, so 'm not complaining.

funnyperson1

The SDR will thrash the VE in performance...the VE has no hardware T&L unit....also CSaddict have you tried the newest WHQL drivers and did you COMPLETELY uninstall the old Nvidia drivers?

OP
scooter4n

scooter4n

This is the update. I got a GeForce MX 400 64MB for $69, at local store www.pclub.com. I think is's a good deal. I tryed some games on it: Unreal Tournament, CS, Q3. Works very well. Now I need help with the drivers. What is the best out there.
Thanks all for all the help.

funnyperson1

scooter4n said:
This is the update. I got a GeForce MX 400 64MB for $69, at local store www.pclub.com. I think is's a good deal. I tryed some games on it: Unreal Tournament, CS, Q3. Works very well. Now I need help with the drivers. What is the best out there.
Thanks all for all the help.

the 27.51 drivers seem to work best for me....but hey uhh thats not the best deal unless thats in Canadian dollars i can get a gts/Radeon DDR for 50$ online at www.pricewatch.com you may wanna try to return the card as both the radeon32mbDDR/LE and the Geforce2 GTS are almost 1.5 as fast as the MX....youll see the difference with newer games....

funnyperson1

i normally would rather have a little bit of patience, and a faster card than a cool box and cables i already hve, but thats just my opinion.....:D ....i just noticed that its not your main rig and in that case you might as well keep the MX....