• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is gromacs, do i need to fold it,and i tried it and got a few Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RCtruckguy

What is gromacs? does it benafit us like F@H does?

i tried it yester day and i got a REALLY wierd WU, it had 6000 frames and when i was at 3% i had 200frams done. don't remember what it was but it was wierd! (it took me about 7 hours to do) now i have a p610_tetp30_build_ex????? and it has 200 frames and i have one done and 0%. is this suspost to be like this? or is it just because F@H is screwey right now?

i was reading something like gromacs is faster, especialy on p4's.

also does gromacs benafit humans like F@H. im doing it to brag and to help us. would swicthing be as benafical to us? i kinda feal usless by swicthing...:(

this WU will take forever, how can i swich back to F@H for a while?~RCTG

To fold using the gromacs core you must have the following options in the starting command:

-advmethods
-forceasm

The last option is to enable assembly optimizations if any( sse etc...).

Search for a thread in the forum to get more help

Gromacs IS FAH, just a different core and apparently better results for the project. I believe it is still in "beta" but for P4's, or any Intel with SSE, gromacs WU's will run alot faster. THe p610_tetp30_build is the "regular" FAH core known as "Tinker" (core_65) gromacs uses the core_78. Seems that the gromacs server is having issues right now, so there are none being dished out.

what about the prefrence choice box (i have the visual 3.14 client) can i just wicth it there? tahts how i did it~RCTG

I think your talking about the preferred project box in client 3.14 options, am i right ? If yes, you can leave it in no preference if you wish to do F@H and G@H. If you want to just use F@H select it. Can't help you much in this issue because i really can't tell you much than this... Just wait and see if someone can help you out. Keep Folding !!!

Hugovsky said:
To fold using the gromacs core you must have the following options in the starting command:

-advmethods
-forceasm

The last option is to enable assembly optimizations if any( sse etc...).
You don't have to use the -forceasm flag to get your assembly optimizations working. That's only to force them on after they've been automatically turned off due to instability. Like I said in the link above, you shouldn't use it unless you don't need it.

Regarding the project preference questing, if you use the -advmethods flag, it will override whatever you put and send you whatever -advmethods is currently dishing out (currently pAla7-2 /w the Gromacs core).

Back