• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is it with Quake 3 that..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

I played a single player skirmish yesterday in Quake 3 and after I "exited" my cpu temps were higher than torture testing with Prime95, at 54c..
When I play ut2k3 or 4 temp doesn't get higher than 49c. 40-42c is usually idle temp...
Wow,huh?

Vio1

Its because your videocard and psu are working more during a game then when you only run Prime95... therefore the inside of your case gets warmer and so does your cpu.

Robrules18

maybe since UT2k4 uses new shaders and textturing etc, and Quake uses iolder stuff its less efficient and so iot works harder for less and gets hotter. Or maybe it has more files and used the HDD more and that cause more heat than usual.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
I think there should be no difference in cpu stressing between Quake 1 and Doom 3. That is because Quake 1 is running at the highest possible framerate (2000 or something?) that the CPU allows. Of course I'm not taking GPU limitations in acount here.