• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is killing my drives?!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

Okay - I just bought a Seagate 80gb 8mb cache 7200 rpm hard drive. . .

The Story:

I had an 80 gig WD .. for some reason I couldn't get into my bios so I was tinkering around a little with the hardware connections, I cut the cpu off.. cut it back on, the WD didn't spin anymore. Don't know what happened.. it just quit.

I get the seagate yesterday - plug it in my system.. system freezes at the bios (I can't get into it actually) - - - There is something wrong with my 2.6C or my IC7. But that's another problem..

I put in my 1.8ghz willamette chip from my dell pc to see if it's my 2.6C crappin' out on me.. I cut the cpu on and the motherboard doesn't beep like it usually does (it always does with the 2.6C).. and oh? What's this? I don't hear my Seagate spinning!!

I change the psu connections - and still no spin. What is going on with my hard drives?!!

LiGhTBoY

What do you mean "cut off/on the CPU" ? Turning the computer off/on?
If you have a multimeter test the PSU to see if the voltages supplied are within specs.

OP
K

kayboykb

yeah, just flipping the switch off then back on.. I don't have a multimeter - maybe it's just a connection problem. . . I'll check again in a minute.

OP
K

kayboykb

hmm.. problem solved supposedly.. I took the willamette out and put the 2.6C back in and now it's starting up. Either I had a bad power supply connection (probably) - and/or my mobo's bein' screwy.*

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
I would inspect all the molex pins on your ATX and 12v line and maybe even the one that was connected to your HDD. I've seen some pins fry and cause some serious damage over time so it's best to be safe. :D