• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is my bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
I'm waiting on some replacement parts for my pc and in the meantime i've been playing q3: urban terror and americas army on my moms pc..
p3 866mhz 133mhz fsb, geforce4 mx440se 64mb sdr agp, 384mb pc133

on AA i get around 20-30fps no matter what the graphics options are

on urban terror i get 40-50 no matter what the graphics options are

the fps also doesnt change if the gfx card is at stock speed (250/310) or overclocked to 360/413

since i can crank everything to max and get the same fps i dont think its the video card

whats the bottleneck?

once i get replacement parts the gfx card will be moved to a 900mhz celeron w/ 256mb pc133 which i plan to o/c to max..will the games perform better at say...1.2ghz or so?

mrgreenjeans

I was going to say that Mom's got a little hot rod card in her system. AGP bus could be slowing things down and check for updated drivers for her mobo; agp, ide, and mini ide. If you just stuck that card in her rig, the drivers could be from 1999. also check bios for aperture, and if she had an onboard chip, did you disable it?
Good luck.

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
Hey now, MX's are half decent cards, atleast if its a GF4MX440, I can play Unreal Tournement at 1024x768 with max details on everything!

Its only OCed to 315/415 to! :D ;)

OCed_5150

Beast Of Blight said:
I just got it and I'm still working on getting it higher, I don't want to fry the thing. Its my first OC experiance! :p

I got a Joytech Apollo Bloody Monster MX 440 that's packed away for a latter time.

365 Core / 575 Ram. With Stock cooling on core... none on RAM. Right out of the box on the first day.

I had the score up on the Overclocker's 3D Mark Team up till 6 months ago. I took it down. But I plan on re-do soon. :D

The Jaton I have now wont go past or even stay stable at 500 RAM.

Hurk

A new vid card ain't gonna do a thing.

The whole system is pretty much the bottleneck. It's slow enough for the GeForce4 MX. There's not 1 thing you could upgrade on that System to get better performance.

OCed_5150

Hurk said:
A new vid card ain't gonna do a thing.

The whole system is pretty much the bottleneck. It's slow enough for the GeForce4 MX. There's not 1 thing you could upgrade on that System to get better performance.

I wasnt thinking... :bang head

Hurk and Damian are right. He needs to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and go with DDR.

Even if he put a TI 4200 or faster card in that configuration... it's not going to be enough of a difference for faster frame rates.

Last edited: