• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is "Prime 95"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris

its a program people use for "burning in CPU's" i havnt used it for some time but if i remember correctly there is something called "torture test" in one of the menus click that and it will max out the CPU, watch the temps though cos she'l get hot

Opie420

Registered
Click Advanced, Passwords. Enter 9876 as the password. Click 'Round Off Checking' (you'll see a check mark come up next to it on the menu). Then click Options, Torture Test... and see how stable your rig actually is.

My system is only prime95 stable at 2444mhz, even tho I can finish benchmarks at 2483. Prime95 is probably the best cpu burnin util available.

Tipycol

I think its main purpose is to find a million(is that right?) digit prime number.
But it is mostly used as a cpu tester and runs many tests on the cpu and runs it at 100% or full load. This basically just tests how stable your computer is, an essential thing if you are overclocked. As for your question, under one of the menus is the option for a torture test, and once you select that it runs. In that same menu are also options for how the test will perform.

Hope this helps

Tipycol

Edit: I gotta learn how to type faster :D

nealric

I think the torture test has the cpu do calculations and then checks for very errors in the answer the cpu spits out. I let it run to test 1000 when I test. If you are not stable, it will usually have an error in the first 10 tests.

DaddyB

At 152 FSB I will get an error anyhwere from 1 minute in to 30 hours in to the torture test, at 151 FSB I have run it for 90 plus hours without an error. Most people reccomend running it for 24 hours.