• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is "pwns"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmmm.......Thanks for the clarification. You make it sound like there is some intelligent explanation for the language. No Sir Re Jim Bob. I don't buy it, it's garbage. And I can gurantee that nobody uses the "l33t" talk in the way you explained, with that much thought behind it.

this this thread is getting pretty stupid, where all 1337 overclockers not 1337 cs newbs, i vote for a lock!

Great thread :D

AFAIK, "pwn" was a typo by a game publisher in a manual. One of my groups had a thread on it somewhere; I'll see if I can find it again.

What I don't get is adding "eh" to practically every word. A site I'm on has boards mainly populated by 12-year-olds who do that a lot. Bugs the hell outta me...where did that one come from? The abovementioned site is the only place I've seen it used...

Last edited:
Dreamstalker said:
Great thread :D

AFAIK, "pwn" was a typo by a game publisher in a manual. One of my groups had a thread on it somewhere; I'll see if I can find it again.

What I don't get is adding "eh" to practically every word. A site I'm on has boards mainly populated by 12-year-olds who do that a lot. Bugs the heck outta me...where did that one come from?

Can you give us an example of the -"eh" addition? I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Hmmm... *pokes around to find some examples*

"Raineh"
"Silleh"
"Screeneh" (I'm assuming they meant screenshot)
"Munneh" (money, I think)

I've mostly seen it with words that already have a Y at the end, but there are a few manglings that even I can't figure out (and can't find or remember). It seems to have died off somewhat from a few weeks ago...

I've never seen that before, and I don't really know why anyone would add that to words. Probably from a TV show or something.

Radical said:
I've never seen that before, and I don't really know why anyone would add that to words. Probably from a TV show or something.
nah, it's just replacing the -y sound with -eh, it sounds funny, i did it for a little, mostly for fun tho. it's just like people calling Prometeia's "prommies", Palomino's "Pallys", Northwoods "northys" and Prescotts "pressys" just a little different

here is an article on leet from the BBC (I know its sad, the BBC did an article on l33t)

i think there is a difference between leet and words like lol, rofl, imo, etc.
leet take more work to type, its take longer for me to type h4x0r than it does for me to either type hacker or you suck. words like lol are more acronyms for other common phrases and i think are derived from chat programs.

i wouldnt mind knowing where things like roflcopter and bbq hax come though

I think teh is just a mispelling, at least for me it is when i am typing to fast.
as to the previous mention of meh, "meh" is just a short sound that conveys that you don't care, I think it started on the simsons when homer asked bart and lisa if they wanted to go to blocko land and they said meh. similar to how i have heard people say yoink when they are taking something, yoink is also simsons derived

Use that translator and put copy an ebay auction into it. It makes it hilarious.

I just AOL-ified a Golf GTi auction and it sounds great, so funny.

Back