• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best case lighting color?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scrappydog

I have a question for everyone. What is your favorite color for lighting the inside of a case?

Here's the deal. My girlfriend (bless her heart) just got me a navy blue Chieftec aluminum case with a great window on the side. I thought I'd try my first case mod and glow my office with a cold cathode light. I've never done it before so I'm up for color suggestions, and any other suggestions you'd like to make. If I had a choice, I'd love to replicate the instrument panel colors in my 2000 VW Jetta, which is a very cool blue/red color scheme. Anyway, thanks in advance for any observations, vendors, colors, whatever!

Spec_Ops2087

if her case is blue then I would say go red...that would be a nice combo...blue case and blue cathodes I don;t think would look that good. You gotta switch it up. So my vote is with red:D

Spec

OP
S

scrappydog

Captain Slug said:
UV or ReD! Always tasty and easy on the eyes.

Spec_Ops2087 & Captain Slug, thanks for the feedback! My girlfriend thought red would be the ticket too.

Any recommendations on the number of lights and/or placement?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
tjandbe.gif

Toe Jam & Earl
Best Sega Genesis game hands down.

Edit: And now I've switched to bomberman...

Last edited:
OP
S

scrappydog

Captain Slug said:
Toe Jam & Earl
Best Sega Genesis game hands down.

I totally spaced out! Yeah, I had Toe Jam & Earl on the Sega Saturn. Awesome game. Funny too! Thanks for jogging my brain. I like the new avatar too -- I haven't played Bomberman in ages.

Yodums

Hmmm, I personally like blue. A chrome case + blue lighting looks real nice! Red CCFL's don't exactly look 100% red, it may look a bit pink.

OP
S

scrappydog

Yodums said:
Hmmm, I personally like blue. A chrome case + blue lighting looks real nice! Red CCFL's don't exactly look 100% red, it may look a bit pink.

Actually, the case is a royal/dark blue. A silver/blue combo would be very sweet... I sorta wished she got me a silver case, but I can't complain. Thanks for the feedback tho. Red works; pink doesn't.

Yodums

scrappydog said:

Actually, the case is a royal/dark blue. A silver/blue combo would be very sweet... I sorta wished she got me a silver case, but I can't complain. Thanks for the feedback tho. Red works; pink doesn't.

It's hard to show you the example since some cameras sort of change the lighting to a different color and all. A blue case is hard to work with in terms of lighting IMHO. However, red would probably be the best color for a blue case.

OP
S

scrappydog

Yodums said:

It's hard to show you the example since some cameras sort of change the lighting to a different color and all. A blue case is hard to work with in terms of lighting IMHO. However, red would probably be the best color for a blue case.

Is it the interior color that makes it difficult? The interior of the Chieftec aluminum cases are silver; it's only the outside that is blue.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
The deepness of the red depends on where you get it from. THe one I ordered form a friend was too bright and looked pink.

You'll need to poll some people to see which place sells RED and NOT pink.

OP
S

scrappydog

Captain Slug said:
The deepness of the red depends on where you get it from. THe one I ordered form a friend was too bright and looked pink.

You'll need to poll some people to see which place sells RED and NOT pink.

Coolio. Thx for the scoop.

Can anyone recommend a vendor of red cold cathodes? BTW, the best deal I've come across is at Best Byte -- $10.

OP
S

scrappydog

scrappydog said:

Coolio. Thx for the scoop. Can anyone recommend a vendor of red cold cathodes? BTW, the best deal I've come across is at Best Byte -- $10.

Okay, update to my last post. I got the red one from Best Byte. The guy was cool and told me one looked sorta pink, and the other one looked red. I got the red one for $9.99.

Thanks everyone for their comments. It is most appreciated! Maybe I'll post a shot when I get the time to disassemble my rig.