• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best cooling for my Athlon XP 3200+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kjbwibeer

I am a novice, and am building a machine for the first time. I am using a 3200+ with an Abit AN7 motherboard. I've got all my parts coming next week sometime except for a cpu cooler. I was thinking of ordering a Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 to go with it. I want to know if this is a good choice for air-cooling or not as I will be trying my hand at overclocking soon after.

Any advice or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Thank You
kjb

OP
kjbwibeer

kjbwibeer

Ok, i'll take your advice and order an SP-97. Now what is the best fan to get for it?

thanks in advance
kjb

kiyoshilionz

Are you going to overclock it? Cuz the SP97 would be overkill if you're not overclocking. Volcano 12's are pretty good and cheaper. For fans, you'll probably want a 80mm fan with at least 40CFM or so or a 92mm fan with at least 60CFM. You can go a little higher flow rate (more CFMs, cubic feet per minute) with more noise, or go quieter with less flow.

OP
kjbwibeer

kjbwibeer

Yes, I plan on overclocking. I am getting a Xaser III V2000A, Tomshardware gave it a 10 for cooling potential; and I liked the looks.

OP
kjbwibeer

kjbwibeer

Everyone, thanks for your help. I ordered the SP-97 along with the TT A2017 suggested by PCGUY112887. Had looked at a Vantec Tornado, but I liked the blue too. And grabbed some AS5.

Thanks for the help
kjb

OLMI

kjbwibeer said:
Everyone, thanks for your help. I ordered the SP-97 along with the TT A2017 suggested by PCGUY112887. Had looked at a Vantec Tornado, but I liked the blue too. And grabbed some AS5.

Thanks for the help
kjb

Wow, I didn't even know they have a 90mm fan like that. I would have suggested the SFII, but this is even better. This is definitely going to be nice cooling. I like low noise, so I'd even say this is the best in my opinion :D

PCGUY112887

hehe ya that fan isn't too popular, but it's really nice! I have one on my CPU, and one as my intake in the front. And it makes a real nice BLUE :).