• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best cooling for my build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scanjet1000

Hello
I've been looking at several aio's and come across the h115i, evga, x62, and many others. I think h115i is best.
But people have said. Just buy a Noctua NH-D14 they are just as good and no risk of leaks!

So I really don't know what to get.
Here is my build (Not purchased yet)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gyDjPs

All personal preference. I think the kraken is great, but nothing wrong with the h115i or the d14. Don't think there is a whole lot of concern for leaks, but you do introduce possible pump failure and permientation over long term use with aio's. I say you do what you feel is right for you. Noctua maybe a little more hassle free but it don't have the rgbz bro. Those beige and brown fans, reliably ugly. Rgb.

are you going to overclock the 8700k as much as possible or just run it at stock/mild oc? the best aio might get you a few degrees better than the best tower heatsink. if it was me i would go with a tower sink for stock/mild oc or custom water cooling if you're going all out on the oc. custom water can give great results but gets expensive fast. i use the reeven ouranos heatsink with a noctua industrial fan. it does a great job and is easy on space compared to some coolers. a good compromise imo.

Does noise bother you? The H115i is good, but that's because the fans are at high speed and are loud. If you want AIO quiet and a great performer, wait for the Swiftech H320 X2 Prestige to be back in stock. You have room for a 320mm or larger rad.?
If you enjoy modding and maximum performance, do a custom with either a Heatkiller IV Pro, XSPC Raystorm Pro or EK Supremacy EVO water block as a start and some variation of a D5 pump. http://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/01/14/xspc-raystorm-pro-review/3/

Last edited:
Went with the EVGA 280 AIO for cooling my 8700K. Don't know how mild is my OC compared with your idea but, those are specs of:
- CPU multi: 50x
- AVX Offset: 48x
- Volts: 1.275V
- Uncore multi: 40x-46x

Of course, CPU allowing it. If noise bothers you, best you can do is to swap the fans that come stock and bolt a pair of nice ones. For my 280 went with a pair of EK Vardar ER140 and it tames heat turning only about 800-850rpm.

are you going to overclock the 8700k as much as possible or just run it at stock/mild oc? the best aio might get you a few degrees better than the best tower heatsink. if it was me i would go with a tower sink for stock/mild oc or custom water cooling if you're going all out on the oc. custom water can give great results but gets expensive fast. i use the reeven ouranos heatsink with a noctua industrial fan. it does a great job and is easy on space compared to some coolers. a good compromise imo.

This. But whichever you choose, make sure your case has the room to accommodate the cooling system.

Back