• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best CPU for my kr7-a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strafer

Registered
I currently have an AMD XP 1600+ in my Abit kr7-a o/c to 1470mhz. I was curious if anyone could / would recommend the best CPU (performance / stability) currently available for this board. I'm not interested in doing lots of mods to the CPU. I was just wondering if upgrading my current CPU will yield much noticable improvements in games / sims.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Well the XP1600 is known to be a great overclocker hitting 1.7GHz & more is not unheard of. Do you happen to know what stepping you have? What you really want to focus on your hardware in terms of gaming performance is really the video card & how fast your memory is. Without knowing what your systems components are its hard to help you out. All you need to increase you CPUs performance is a good HSF, which you can find good reviews of on the front page, & proper knowledge to overclock it. Unlocking might sound too difficult but its a must if you really want to push the performance to its maximum.

OP
S

Strafer

Registered
Sonny, I do appreciate your response; and I'm aware that I can further manipulate my current CPU or buy other peripherals to replace my current Radeon 8500 or 512meg pc2100 - however, I would very much be interested if someone could directly answer my original post. Are there no kr7-a users who could recommend the fastest and most stable CPU avaialable for this board?

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Fastest CPU that will be recognized properly by the board is an Athlon XP 2100+ Palomino Core. A faster CPU will be needed if your video card is either a Ti4600 or 9700 Pro. Noticable improvement is a case to case basis since it really depends if 5 - 10 frames per second is a noticable difference to you going from a 200MHz - 300MHz difference in CPU clockspeed.

OP
S

Strafer

Registered
Thanks guys - I guess the XP2000 is the fastest I can get, then - without doing an overhaul.