• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the Best (Free) AV Setup for You and What Would You Recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ophaq

Registered
Note before reading:
All of the below AVs were ran on laptops except for AVG which was ran on a desktop. These laptops usually only ran on 2-3GB of memory, on-board graphics, and a dual core 2Ghz CPU. However, the difference in running them and having them showed the difference in how much resources they actually took up.

To start, I'm getting a new gaming rig soon and I would like to hear some opinions on what I should get for AV. Through my experience in the past, I have tried many free AVs (Kaspersky, BitDefender, Norton 360+Webroot, Vipre, a bit of AVG, and an Avast!+Comodo Firewall setup).

With these, I found that:

-Kaspersky and BitDefender were pretty good but they took up a moderate amount of resources (these were the trial versions by the way).

-Norton 360+Webroot took up a lot of resources (don't even get me started on how bad Norton was in how much resources it took up by just running it). Both of these got the job done though, and I was somewhat impressed by Webroot.

-Vipre I think was OK but when the trial version ended and I had to remove it, it left behind small traces of it when it was uninstalled and no matter how many times I tried to delete it, it wouldn't go away. That really irked me.

-AVG was...well, I only looked at it on a friend's computer but I found that the scanning was very slow and it took up A LOT of resources like Norton did.

-Avast!+Comodo Firewall is what I use today (and the year before) and to be honest, I really like this setup. It takes a bit to adjust all the settings but you can find how to make the two work together on YouTube. They don't take up much resources except when you do a full scan with Avast! AV. In that, the scan tends to consume quit a bit of resources while running. Comodo Firewall can tend to be annoying now and then when you need to update programs as it tends to keep asking you questions on allowing certain odd-named processes to run. Avast! Also comes with a WebRep tool for the Internet browser, which I use along with WOT for added security (so that I know which websites are good and don't have a high chance of carrying malware/viruses).
Overall, the amount of resources the two take up in the background when not running a scan is quite minimal.

:blah: To the Point (TL;DR):
-Should I continue to go with the Avast!+Comodo Firewall setup or should should I look into something else? I have had my eye on MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for a while now and would like to know what you think of that.
-What is the best (free) AV setup for you and what would you recommend?

:ty:

Last edited:
Back