• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best Linux for me???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbienerd

I am a noob.. well kind of... but when it comes to alternative systems, I don't know too much. I want to learn Linux and need some advice on what is the best alternative out there for me. I know how to run shells.. although i like the GUI's that windoze offers. I've run Unix b4. I need something slim for now that I can run on P1 computers with about 72 megs of memory. I know that is not much, but oh well..

I was looking at buying a packaged version of linux SuSe... what do you guys think??? it says it can support P1...

hmmm...

Anyways, please help me in deciding what to install.. I might be acquiring 5 P1 rigs and hopefully it has some memory in it. I might try installing multiple systems on it.. and try some multiboot systems...

but for now I need you opinions on what is the best option out there for me...

THanks!!!!

klingens

You want a small linux and the current suse, mandrake, fedora, etc aren't. All of them can run on a P1, but that statement is useless since they, by default, install all so much crap that your poor P1 takes probably half an hour to boot.

Personally I'd use a debian, slackware or damnsmalllinux install without gnome or kde. Without X if possible even.
For a window manager/desktop use something lightweight: fluxbox, icewm, maybe even something very barebone like ratpoison. Your overall choices always have to ask "How much mem is that program using when it runs".

Start with a small netinstall ISO like this one: http://people.debian.org/~blade/boot-floppies/netinst-full-pre/bootbf2_4_iso.zip
It's only 30MB and installs only the bare necessities to get online and get anything else you want from a apt-get repository on the Net. It's great for creating a very slimmed down install of Debian (I ran debian woody/sarge with that on a 486-160 with 230MB harddisk)

Stupid Boy

I like Slackware, but it was a bit annoying to set up. It's not much more annoying than RedHat or Fedora because they're kinda messed-up like windoze.