• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Is The Best Pci Video Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

the best would probably be a Geforce4 MX420 but i would suggest to your friend that he get a cheap mobo with AGP slot online theyre only like 50$ and a new agp video card such as geforce3Ti200 or Radeon8500

OP
W

wilhelm310

hes a cheap punk and very dumb and plus its a compaq n he has no windows cd only restore cd but that only works with the same mobo he just wants a 64mb pci vid card to play games he has 4mb onboard right now it sux for even the cheap games

TheFrag

ur friend should get a AGP board and install it and then tell compaq his comp isnt working and get them to install windows or something. Trust me, I have a PCI mx400 and it is CRAPTASTICAL! and i would just get a cheap board. My Shuttle ak31a (a.k.a. ak31 v3.1) cost me 30 bucks and it is great.

20p

Registered
PCI is much slower

I believe that PCI is at least four times slower than AGP 4x (which all the good cards are) BUT ...
If you were to pick up some old graphics card like one of the better Voodoo ones on auction for a bargain price it might be good.
Otherwise I think everyone advising him to find someone silly enough to buy it is giving the best advice !

MDA

I think the Gianward Pro Geforce 450tv PCI got rated the best pci card in some magazine i read last month, probably the best option if you cant upgrade to an agp slot.

MDA.

Dreamkiller

Where the the RB26DETT-powered monster lives.
I would have to say the Voodoo5 5000 PCI is best as a PCI card. The Voodoo5 runs on PCI speeds anyway and it doesn't use AGP texturing so it *should* faster than everyone else. All the GPUs made today are designed to work on AGP slots anyway. It lacks OpenGL support though which almost all the games today uses.

Or wait untill the PCI radeons and buy that instead. Buy an MX450 if you're that desparate.

OP
W

wilhelm310

that voodoo card is old aint it my friend only needs a card to play weak games on it not a good card just something better then his on board 4mb video lol

funnyperson1

theres an MX420 for sale in the classifieds :) for 70$....much more than i would pay for it, but you wont find decent PCI cards for much cheaper

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
THIS IS PAINFULL

DUDE
Don't get a DELL :)
But please @ least smack him over the head and tell him he is only wasting money!
Tell him to use whatever components he has and buy a AGP card along with a MOBO that works with his stuff .
And get 1 of those cheap copy's of windows XP ;)
Like 99.9% of the rest of us have and he'll still save money!
www.pricewatch.com
I'm sure he can get a GForce4 MX series and the mobo under 80bucks, plus he might do some extra upgading down the road.
Otherwise what!?
Talk some sense into the dude :)

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
Almost forgot

if u get a good PCI videocard it will performe average compared with a AGP.
If u get a average PCI videocard it will performe like shi* compared to a average AGP card.
So either way it's his losse hahaha
PCI and IGP are the same, if he is looking for a even slight improvement , only AGP
Peace out!

Jawsome

Sure you can go with the phantom "Radeon 9000 PCI" or find loose change and buy an Geforce 2 MX PCI card, but what these guys are all afraid to admit, is that the Voodoo 2 1000 PCI is the real winner. I mean, I had no slowdown problems playing Mechcommander 1 at the highest settings, and believe me, thats not a feat easily accomplished by your regular joe Rage Pro.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
I would get a Radeon 7500 PCI, or an MX-400 PCI. If your friend is as cheap as you say he is, I doubt that he want's to spend over $50 on a card. Anything better than those two cards and he may as well upgrade his motherboard, to something that can use an AGP. The PCI cards may be "Craptastical", but don't forget, this guy is using 4Meg onboard video. There's a world of a difference between the two.

Dreamkiller said:
I would have to say the Voodoo5 5000 PCI is best as a PCI card. The Voodoo5 runs on PCI speeds anyway and it doesn't use AGP texturing so it *should* faster than everyone else. All the GPUs made today are designed to work on AGP slots anyway. It lacks OpenGL support though which almost all the games today uses.

Or wait untill the PCI radeons and buy that instead. Buy an MX450 if you're that desparate.

I think you have things a little bit backwards. The Voodoo's were built for OpenGL, but not for D3D.

palee72

I used to have a voodoo blaster banshee in my first system. I think it was AGP tho. The card rocked for me in the day.. Then I ??upgraded?? to an ATI rage Pro.... I shoulda' stuck with the voodoo.

Dude, either get a mobo w/AGP (which will be upgradable in the future), waste your money on a PCI video card (I reccomend voodoo 2 or 3, then again, I'm old school voodoo lover), or save your money, keep what you have, and upgrade when you aren't so tight...

I know the kind.. I had a friend who was in the exact same boat. He complained that he had to spend $200 to upgrade his system to play 'thief' at a decent framerate.. I got him a k6-II 500mhz, epox mobo and voodoo3 agp(he too had a crappy pci no name vid card) Mind you, this was about 2 years ago...

OP
W

wilhelm310

MY Friend said he just wants a card to play games with and he is gonna give the puter to his sister when he builds a new puter but he wants a good pci card for now

Racoon

Registered
Jawsome said:
Sure you can go with the phantom "Radeon 9000 PCI" or find loose change and buy an Geforce 2 MX PCI card, but what these guys are all afraid to admit, is that the Voodoo 2 1000 PCI is the real winner. I mean, I had no slowdown problems playing Mechcommander 1 at the highest settings, and believe me, thats not a feat easily accomplished by your regular joe Rage Pro.

Actually the Hercules Radeon 9000 PCI has been released in the UK (& I imagine in Europe) but maybe not in US?

jacheatamobits

you know, its funny what happens when you upgrade...

i got a card just wanting to play dvd's, and started playing some 3D games, after downloading UT2K3, i realized how much fun it would be to play games with a decent frame rate...

...my GeForce4 4200 gets here on monday

have your freind play some games of his on a better puter, i think hell change his mind. (personaly, i wouldnt subject anyone else to the horror of un-upgrade-ability, tell him te git a better mobo, mofo)