• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the BEST Socket A Cooler that'll fit on an Abit KT7A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abe

I have a PEP66 that I was using on my P3 800, but it won't fit on my new KT7A board.. and I really don't want to modify it unless there is NO better cooler out there that'll work on my board.. I will mod it, but only if I have to in order to get the best air cooler (assuming it's the PEP 66).. price isn't TOO much of an issue (I ain't payin $100 or something crazy like that for an air cooler).

Abe (Apr 30, 2001 01:22 p.m.):
I have a PEP66 that I was using on my P3 800, but it won't fit on my new KT7A board.. and I really don't want to modify it unless there is NO better cooler out there that'll work on my board.. I will mod it, but only if I have to in order to get the best air cooler (assuming it's the PEP 66).. price isn't TOO much of an issue (I ain't payin $100 or something crazy like that for an air cooler).

The Thermosonic ThermoEngine fits the KT7A fine and has been getting good numbers. I'd recommend you read Hoot's recent post first.

I got a ThermalTake Mini-Super Orb. It is basically made for the KT7A board. It fits great no problems with mine.

I know the mini super orb I got to review really sucked, it cracked my friends core and just generally didn't fit on there, the copper mini super orb does a better job then it. I would stay away from orb's though due to the fact they just don't cool that well. if you don't mind the noise I would say fop38 or wbk38 or cak38 if you don't like the noise, and I mean a lot I would defintly go with a thermaltake volcano II for the price and the noise it just can't be beat.

don't go the orb route, they are not that great. Get the thermoengine, it is probably the best that will fit. Also, the fop 38 from globalwin should be able to fit, it is a good cooler(not quite as good as the thermoengine though)

I use a Vantec FCE-62540D. It's a bit noisy but does the trick. I have a 1GHZ OC'ed to 1255 and I run 29 Idle and 42 full load.

My vote would be to mod the PEP66.... it's not that hard and requires only a tinsnips. I know you dont wanna do that but its what I would do.

My next choice would be a Swiftech MC462A

SickBoy

i use a ocz copper gladiator. they are sold out for now but it's a pretty good hsf for only 30 bucks. im at 1000@1496 1.85v and i get 44C load at 25C ambient.

I am no PEP66 fan. I have one and prefer a lapped FOP32. I only use it on the bench now but it's quiet, it works and you can get one for $20.

Back