• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best way to remove old AC3 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sanctuary

What is the best way to remove old AS3 ?

I recently put together my first computer (its not my first pc, just the first I made), and due to having a faulty MB and ram, I had to disassemble it. When it was first together, my cpu (Althon xp 2000+) was running between 55 - 60C using AS3 and a volcano 7.

Now, after getting the parts back (functioning now) and reassembling everything, my cpu is running 72 - 77C !!
Before putting the heatsink back on, I cleaned off all of the old AS3 from the bottom of it, and also cleaned the chip off the best I could, using a Q-tip (making sure no cotton particles were left smeared on the chip). I then re applied new AS3 to the chip and now I am running at unacceptable levels while idle....

I need to know if the old AS3 residue is causing this, and if so, what is the best way to remove the old gunk? Cant really take a rag and go to town on the cpu. I have heard you can use a hair dryer to heat it up, but then what do you remove it with?

Last edited:

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
AC3? I never heard of the stuff. You seem to be so sure that's it's AC3 I'm not sure if I can help.

IF you meant AS3 then I can help. All you need is some warm water & a little dishwashing soap then use a rag to clean the stuff out taking care not to soak the whole chip &/or heatsink. Make sure you dry it out properly then go over it with some acetone just to make sure there isn't any residue on it. All this info is available on the AS website but you wouldnt have known to look there cause it just might be a different product that you are using.

Toysrme

Rubbing(isopropal) Alchohal. If that dosen't work. Acetone always works for me. Best pat is that unlike water. Niether will destroy the electronics.

-Toysrme

Cheesy Peas

find some nail varnish remover or something with a high alchohol content in it, basically do that it evaporates when its done its work.

Paxmax

Sanctuary said:
Lol sorry, Im pretty tired, I meant AS3 (Arctic Silver)

Whew!

I'm glad you got that cleared up, I was about to suggest throwing that darn old AC3 multichannel preamp out, and buy some DTS capable stuff! :p

/Paxmax

SlowBurn

I first put some Goof Off (can be found in the paint isle at Home Depot) on a Qtip. Scrub the core thoroughly, then I use Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) on a different Qtip. Finally I get some coffee filter and make sure it's dry.

Toysrme

Yeah so the spelling police are goomh tocome arrest me...
Isopropyl...

-Toysrme

GHOST_Viper

Registered
The specific recommendation by the makers of AS3 is to use a little bit of liquid dishwashing soap.

Then go over it with isopropyl alcohol to remove residue.