• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the better idea ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Currently my Router is setup as an DHCP Server, want I'd like to know is if I turned DHCP off on the router and gave each of my computers a staic IP would that make anything quicker ? or is it all the same, btw my router isnt slow as it is I was just wondering :)

Theoretically you might shave a very very small amount of time off your boot up. I mean since your machine doesn't have to broadcast for an address and all that. It most likely wont even be noticable though.

i set mine to static, because if you use something like port forwarding, you don't want your IP address to change, and your brother's computer to suddenly start getting YOUR ports. :D

haha :) with my router it remembers the MAC address and keeps on addressing it the same IP :/ kinda weird but heh it works:)

Yeah really no difference, but if you use anything like port forwarding/filtering or DMZ it's a lot easier to use static rather than dynamic. I just have mine set to static so I can always identify each computer on my network by its IP#, I don't like them switching around :)

lucky you...

I have a linksys bersf41, and I guess it doesn't support that.

[thread hijack] I did get that port forwarding working though... I just updated the firmware [/thread hijack}

Back