• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the Corsair Obsidian 800D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinymouse2

It looks seriously nice... I don't actually have enough money for it but dayam... How does the airflow match up to the lower priced cases like the Antec 1200 or the HAF 932?

Also I've seen that it's tall... it's massive! It generally looks like an awesome case but is it worth the hefty price tag? It's 400 dollars over here in the UK so I would obviously ask someone over there to ship it (I would pay an extra fee ontop of the cost of the case and shipping obviously.)

So! Is it worth the massive pricetag?

Headstand

Sorry, I am still new.

No buying or selling in the general forums, Headstand. We have a Classified area that you will get access to after 100 quality posts in the hardware and software and team forums. And if we catch folks making 1-2 word spam posts we reset their postcount.

muddocktor
Forum Staff

Last edited:

jhanby

It has a massive price tag because it has features that the cases you mention do not.

- 4 Sata Hot Swap bays built in
- room for a 3x120mm radiator internally
- Looks to kill.

Whether that makes it worth it is another thing.

400 dollars = £260
You can get for £220 in UK

OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

Sorry 350 dollars. Not sure why I said 400. That would be the place I would buy it from but still... the price tag.

I'm not planning on selling it in a big rush I'm afriad. I'm not sure how good my parents case is so I might be donating it to them if I get a new case.

EDITED BY MOI!
Just incase mods got angry, thanks for the heads up deadlysn

Last edited:
OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

So it's only really worth it if you want to go with watercooling?
I don't mind air cooling simply because I'd be happy with 3.4GHz maximum (I will overclock sometime soonish...) so no need for water cooling.

OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

It fits it but it won't look as nice as in an 800D. It'll mostly be beacause of look that I buy this case not because of practicality.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Edited due to the issue being resolved.

Either way, the 800D is a very nice case, but there are other cases that will do the same things, for much less money.

Last edited:

JonSimonzi

So it's only really worth it if you want to go with watercooling?
I don't mind air cooling simply because I'd be happy with 3.4GHz maximum (I will overclock sometime soonish...) so no need for water cooling.

I wouldn't say it's only worth it if you're water cooling, even with air cooling it's an amazing case. But the case just screams water cooling. I'm pretty sure when Corsair designed it, they had water cooling in mind :)

OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

It does seem that way =P
Well it's on my wishlist then along with a 28" monitor, 5870 GPU, an SSD and a G27 wheel.

Thanks to everyone for the help =)

Rich'[ard]

i like it, but it looks way to big for me.
it just turns me off lol, if that's possible :p
if only it was mid-tower size, i'd be dashing to the PC shop right now.
and...nah not worth the price i reckon. unless you already have the whole package, it'll just look out of place.
by whole package i mean...water cooling, shiny/big arse graphics card...all that jazz
it's like seeing a Ferrari parked in a garage of a 1 bedroom flat

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I own one and love it. Hopefully soon, the review I completed for the Front Page will be published and you can see my opinion of it (which is quite positive, even though its quite expensive). My only concerns were the lack of esata on the front panel, the paint on the mobo 'tray' chipped off easily (could have been just mine though), and thats about it.

It would be fine for air cooling, though cases like the HAF932 and Antec1200 would be better for just air. The Antec1200 can hold a 2x120mm sized rad internally without mods (I owned one). The HAF932 holds a 3x120mm without mods(iirc).

Either way, the 800D is a very nice case, but there are other cases that will do the same things, for much less money.
Very true, but the HAF932 doesnt look quite near as nice and clean (IMHO as I know looks are quite subjective). My choices were between the HAF and Obsidian. If you have the money for it. Its worth every penny.

jmdixon85

^Looking foward to reading the review Earthdog.

I have a HAF932 but would love the Corsair instead as it is so much sleeker :)

EDIT: How cool is this RES setup in the Corsair

3976362271_c517aefc0f_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

Oh gosh... that pic makes me want watercooling...
Does it have to stick out though? Or is that just a demo of what it could be like?

It looks like this case is lovely if your looking to pay twice the price of it on extras like water cooling, fan controllers, media plates and stuff. It's nice enough for me to consider though so I'm now waiting on EarthDogs full review for me to decide if it's actually worth it or not =)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Wow, very cool res pic no doubt. And I believe those are internal, just the picture shows them sticking out.

I have that same fan controller!!!

Article is supposed to be posted monday (tomorrow). :)

OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

Exam tomorrow =( So that would be a nice present while I'm crying to myself how I've just failed =P

Well watercooling does look a lot nicer now and I would be able to push my 260 up to the 700s region and that sounds awesome!

A question though, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-014-XP&groupid=962&catid=1531&subcat=
Is that just the fluid? Or do you add it to water? Or what?

Also I'm not in a rush for this, could be several months if I do this at all =P